Amelia Earhart

by Tania from San Diego

"By the time I had got two or three hundred feet off the ground, I knew I had to fly"

A hero is someone that is admired for his or her achievements and also their noble qualities. It is a person that knows right from wrong choices. It is a person that shows courage. My hero is Amelia Earhart.

Amelia Earhart was born July 24, 1897 at her grandparents’ home in Atchison, Kansas. When she was 10 years old she saw her first plane, but she was not impressed. She finally became interested in aviation a decade later when she went to a stunt-flying exhibition. She also kept a scrapbook of newspaper clippings that talked about women that were successful in male-oriented fields.

On January 3, 1921, Amelia took her first flying lesson and in six months she managed to save enough to buy her first plane. Amelia named her plane “Canary,” she used it to set the first women’s record by rising an altitude of 14,000 feet. On April 1928, someone called Amelia to ask her if she would like to fly the Atlantic. Amelia said yes. Amelia left Trepassey harbor, Newfoundland, in a Fokker F7 named Friendship on June 17, 1928, and she got to Butty Port, Wales, 21 hours later. Her flight made headlines all around the world, and then she returned to the United States and was greeted with a ticker-tape parade in New York and a reception held by President Calvin Coolidge at the White House.

Amelia Earhart achieved many things during her lifetime. On August 1929, she was placed third in the First Women’s Air Derby. On June 25, 1930, She set women’s speed record for 100 kilometers with no load, and with a load of 500 kilograms. On July 5, 1930 She set a speed record of 181.18mph over a 3K course. On May 20-21, 1932, she was the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic;14 hrs 56min. On January 11,1935, Amelia was the first person to solo the 2,408-mile distance across the Pacific between Honolulu and Oakland, California. Last, on June 1, 1937, she began flight around the world; first person to fly from the Red Sea to India.

Amelia Earhart is my hero because she broke many records that men could not break. She is my hero because she stood up for what she believed in and never stopped. I want to be more like her because I want to stand up for what I believe in. That is why Amelia Earhart is my hero.

George Palmer Putnam Collection of Amelia Earhart Papers at the Purdue University Libraries - The Amelia Earhart collection offers a rare glimpse into the life of America's premier woman aviator. The online collection includes more than 2,000 scans of photographs, maps, and documents relating to Earhart.