Captain Edward John Smith

by Michaela from New Brunswick

<a href=http://www.geocities.com/hollywood/theater/7937/smith.html>Captain Edward John Smith</a>
Captain Edward John Smith

Captain Edward John Smith

Today I am going to talk about Captain Edward John Smith. Captain Edward John Smith was born on January 27th, 1850 at Hanley Stoke-on-Trent, England. Captain Edward John Smith got married on January 13th, 1887. He married Sarah Eleanor Pennington at the St. Oswald’s church, Winwick. They had a daughter whose name is Helen Melville Smith (Mel). She was born in Liverpool. Later the family moved to Southampton. She and her parents lived in a red brick twin-gabled house on Winn Road, Westwood, and Southampton. Captain Edward John Smith was soon a master seaman, and was called the top dog in the White Star Line’s fleet. By then he was getting $1,250 in European dollars a year. He mostly took the company’s ships out on their sea trails and their first journey by the water. His capability and sophistication attracted a lot of people. He was 62 years old when he went down with his ship, the Titanic on April 15th, 1912.

I picked Captain Edward John Smith to be my hero because he inspired me to never give up, no matter what anyone says or does. He showed me that I need to save as many people as I can including myself from accidents. That is why I picked him as my hero.

By: Michaela