Albert Einstein

by Stella from Jakarta

I guess everybody has heard about Albert Einstein. Einstein is a person I admire. I knew about Einstein for the first time when I was an elementary student. My father was the first person who told me about him. He bought me a picture book about Einstein. Based on the source that I read, Einstein was known as the most important scientist of 20th century. I often see that Einstein’s pictures are used as a symbol of geniuses. Moreover, I also see his picture in Sudoku book I bought along with a sentence which says “Develop thousands of Einstein’s brains.” There are some reasons why I admire Einstein. I will explain them to you as I tell you a little bit of the story about Einstein life.

Einstein was born in a Jewish Family. His father was an electrochemical worker. Einstein entered a Catholic elementary school. At his school his friends and teachers often mocked him by saying Jesus was killed by Jewish people. I think this condition is still being done in our daily life where people are still concern about nationality. Einstein’s interest in mathematics and physics was influenced by his uncle who bought him an encyclopedia about mathematics and physics. The young Einstein spent his time proving the theories he found in the encyclopedia. Well, I think this habit is rarely found in our daily life now. When I knew about it, I always thought it was a strange habit but later I changed my mind. How many people who have this seriousness can be found now? Oooh!! These people must very difficult to find. Einstein also believed that the spirit of leaning and creative thought were lost in such endeavors as strict memorization. I was very impressed when I heard about it. Well, I’m also a person who hates to memorize something strictly, so when I heard about it, the first thing that came out in my mind was “I have the same opinion as Einstein!!! It’s very wonderful.”

During his lifetime, Einstein found some new theories; there are photoelectric effects, general relativity, theory of gravitation, etc. He got a Nobel Prize for the theory of photoelectric effects, but it’s not the theory Einstein made that I knew for the first time. When my father bought me the Einstein book, he also told me about the theory of general relativity. At that time, I didn’t get the point about what my father told me. I just heard about “everything is relative, it depends on which side we see it.” My father also told me about something related to speed of light. He said that if we could throw a little rock from the moon to the earth, then it would be the end of the world. I said to him that it was impossible. But my father said it was possible if we could throw the rock by the speed of light. It was so amazing. My father said it was Einstein who said it. It was the first time I admired Einstein.

I also admire Einstein for his braveness to state his opinion although the others didn’t agree with that opinion. When Einstein described his theory of gravity which known as General Relativity for the first time, many scientists rejected his opinion but Einstein kept giving lectures on his new theory of relativity.

Einstein died on April 18, 1955. Some scientists took his brain and made a research on it. Wow!! I guess Einstein’s brain is one of the miracles. My sister told me during Einstein’s final years, the last project he worked was discovering the mystery of Atlantis. I don’t know whether it was true or not but it was a regret he couldn’t finish his work. But whether he finished his project or not, Einstein is still my hero. He was an amazing person.