Albert Einstein

by Megan Holbrook

1. Albert Einstein is a well-known science hero. He was born on March 14, 1879 to Herman and Paulina Koch Einstein, in Ulm, Wurttemberg, Germany. Einstein was a very imaginative, self-sufficient, and thoughtful child. Fascinated by the mysteriously complex world around him. Throughout his adolescent years he attended school in Munich, where he generally got good grades. Although, he hated the dull everyday mundane and unimaginative spirit of school. Einstein was frustrated by the feeling from school that success depended on memorization and obedience to subjective authority, so he often spent his own time at home studying books on mathematics, physics, and philosophy.

2. During Einstein’s time the cultural values were intelligence and courage. In a time of the industrial revolution of new inventions intelligence and the ability to create was looked upon highly. These influences had a great impact on the idea of what a hero should be because different cultural values are more important than others throughout specific time periods. Albert had a keen mind and dedicated his knowledge to scientific studies. He was truly a hero of his time and of all history for his courage to comfort the unknown and defeat it.

3. In 1905 Einstein contributed three papers to the Annalen der Physik on the topics of light, relativity, and irregular motion of microscopic particles. Each of which became the basis of a new branch of physics. In 1939 he wrote President Roosevelt and told him of the possibility of creating an atomic bomb and urged him to provide governmental help to the study. Einstein has influenced these maters and become a hero itself because of his devotion and love for the understanding of scientific properties. He devoted his whole life to comprehending the great mysteries of the world. His greatest quality was that he was not one to give up and was not afraid to make mistakes.

4. Albert Einstein represents the values of knowledge, talent, and devotion. At the age of five his father showed him a pocket compass. He was so amazed by the manner in which the compass needle kept pointing in the same direction no matter which way the compass was turned. Without being able to grasp such knowledge the young Einstein felt then that “something deeply hidden had to be behind [all] things”. Since he was a young boy he spent most of his time studying and strengthening his talent as a brilliant intellectual thinker.

5. What impresses me most about Albert Einstein is his significant contributions to scientific knowledge. During his lifetime he become internationally renowned. He acquired honors and awards, including the Nobel Prize in physics in 1921, from various world scientific societies. He was a brilliant man and truly deserves the title as a great science hero.

Bibliography Bucky, Peter A. The Private Albert Einstein. Andrews and McMeel, 1992. Clark, Ronald W. Einstein: The Life and Times. Avon, 1992. First published in 1971. Einstein, Albert – Image and Impact. Online. Internet. Available HTTP://www.aip.org/history/einstein. (Primary source- autobiographical notes, and quotes and excepts from his essay, “The World As I see It.”) Einstein, Albert. Millennium World Book Encyclopedia. IBM, 2000. CD-Rom. Lightman P. Alan. Einstein’s Dreams (Book)