Fred Myers

by Lauren from Eden Prairie

This is a picture of Fred Myers (The Humane Society of the United States)

Fred Myers was an animal lover. He was born and raised in Kansas City, Missouri in 1904. When he was growing up his father ran a newspaper stand. Later in life Fred Myers was a Cub reporter. Then he became a mature journalist. He worked in the newspaper industry in the 1930's and 1940's.

This is a picture of the HSUS Logo. (Animal Wrongs)

One of his biggest accomplishments was being a co-founder of the National Humane Society. Later it was re-named the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Some people who helped him make the HSUS were Helen Jones, Larry Andrews, and Marcia Glaser. They made the HSUS in 1954.

This fox needs its fur more than you do. (Ecorazzi)

They made the HSUS because they wanted to end some issues, and make a place for the animals to stay. They wanted to give a home to the animals instead of going to factory farmers because farmers were cruel to animals and the animals gave diseases to people. Animal fighting was also a problem because they used animals for entertainment and hurt the animals. Fur traders killed the animals for their fur. Puppy mills would make puppies and then they would not give the puppies what they needed.

In his own words, Fred Myers said: "All thoughtful persons recognize that cruelty is an evil that should be eradicated from our society, not merely for the sake of animals, but for our own good."

This is a picture of a dog at the Humane Society. (BCNN1.com)

I think Fred Myers is a hero because he never gave up on the animals. He came up with the Humane Slaughter Act, and he was a co-founder of the HSUS. I think he was smart because he helped save the animal's lives. He was also brave because he tried to help the animals when others might not have cared. He was a great person and he really loved animals.

On Decemember 1st, 1963 Fred Myers died of a heart attack. After his death the HSUS became the nation's largest and the one of highest quality animal protection organizations. He lived to be 59 years old. I think he was a hero because he helped many animals have a longer life time.

The Humane Society of the United States - It's about the HSUS acomplishments.
The Humane Society of the United States - This link/site is about Fred Myers.