Franklin D. Roosevelt

by Enzo from Aurora

A picture based off of Franklin Roosevelt (by Enzo)

My hero is Franklin Delano Roosevelt. FDR was born in 1882 in Hyde Park, New York. He married Eleanor Roosevelt in 1905 on St. Patrick’s Day. After the marriage, he steadily climbed higher and higher into the government. He was elected president in 1932. This was a time of great political turbulence. The Stock market had crashed, leaving most of America with barely any money. Americans in rags lined up for free food to survive. While America was struggling economically the Nazis were building an empire in Europe. FDR authorized government action, and many unemployed Americans were able to have new jobs.

By the time he had managed to deal with the economic situation, international politics were steadily worsening. Finally, The Japanese military launched a surprise assault on Pearl Harbor and other US bases. The situation had broken down in Europe and World War 2 broke out. FDR had initially authorized the Lend-Lease program, transporting war material to Allied countries without taking aggressive action. He also managed to undertake a massive national war effort, producing thousands of vehicles, munitions, and planes. This also helped the economic situation, and thousands of Americans were able to take jobs in the defense industry.

Sadly, President Roosevelt died on April 1945- in Warm Springs, Georgia, due to his frail health.

President Roosevelt is my hero because he really made a difference in the world. He guided the US through the Great Depression and the Second World War. He contributed to the United Nations, foreseeing political problems between the US and the USSR. President Roosevelt inspired me to make a difference in the world.

Eleanor Roosevelt historical site - a overview of FDR's life
Spartacus schoolnet - a detailed article on FDR

Government, United States. "Franklin D Roosevelt." The White House.