The Firefighters of 9/11

by Meredith from Ansonia

One minute can change history. During that minute you have a choice, will you save others before saving yourself? The firefighters on September 11, 2001, made that decision. They made the choice to save strangers in need and put aside their personal fears. I disagree when someone says, ‘super heroes do not exist’ because I think firefighters are modern day super heroes. These people have the willingness and passion to save others. However, even though we refer to them as a group, they live out their lives as individuals with their own personal stories.

Station Seven, the closest station to the Twin Towers and the first on scene that tragic morning, experienced a life-changing event. As Captain Dennis Tardio gave orders to his crew in the lobby of the North Tower, he heard a loud thud and everyone in the room knew that it was not just debris falling. Jules Naudet, a cameraman doing a documentary on the life of a fireman, said, “Every time you hear that sound you know someone’s life was just extinguished”. The men of Station Seven went up to the eightieth floor; as they went up, people would pass them on their way down awestruck because they saw these firefighters going up a burning building hoping they had the chance to save another person. When the South Tower fell everyone in the North evacuated. By the time the North Tower fell, Captain Dennis Tardio and his crew had become separated.

Several hours after the attack, one by one the crew from Station Seven started to stumble into their firehouse. They all stood in amazement because everyone in the station made it through that horrible day. All the firefighters started sharing stories about their horrific day. Chief Joseph said, “Someone asked me what happened today, all I could say was Hell”. In spite of those deadly circumstances the firefighters still held strong to their commitment and determination to save others. I hope my life reflects their ability to put others first. This defines a hero.

Resources

9/11 Documentary. (2002). Retrieved October 18,2009, from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnlbN1y6x7c