George Lucas

by Michael from Toronto

George Lucas

George Walton Lucas Jr. was born on the 14th of May 1944, in the modest town of Modesto, California. As a child, he was interested in history books, film, music, and racecars. He wanted to be a racecar driver when he grew up, because he thought that it would get him out of Modesto. At the age of 18, his father bought him a Fiat Bianchina. George fixed it up, and started winning races. Lucas was a very good driver, but after a terrible crash, he decided on a career change. He left home in 1962, and took up his other passion, film-making. Lucas went to USC film school, and would win many prizes and scholarships, as well as the respect of his classmates, who admired him. Lucas was influenced by Joseph Campbell, and the iconic film-maker, Akira Kurosawa. Lucas's greatest success, Star Wars, was partially an homage to his favorite Kurosawa movie, The Fortress, which bears many similarities to the original Star Wars. While in university, he predicted that he would be a multi-millionaire by the age of thirty. He was two years off.

He struck it big when he was 28, coming out with movies such as American Graffitti, and Star Wars, in his first five years in the industry. Him giving up his director's cut for all Star Wars royalties, which at the time seemed foolish, would eventually earn him hundreds of millions of dollars. Another famous franchise that he directed alongside Steven Spielberg, is the Indiana Jones series. Lucas also created a company called "Industrial Light and Magic", and effects company, first used in the production of Star Wars. It remains and industry leader to this day. Another famous company that was founded by Lucas is called Lucasfilm, which he is still the Chairman and CEO. Lucasfilm created Pixar, which would eventually be sold to Steve Jobs.

George Lucas has become a hero to me, because he has created by far my two favorite movie sagas: Star Wars, and Indiana Jones. He has also shown great ingenuity in the business world, with many wise decisions that have made him profit greatly. He has made a difference in the world, with the creation of several companies such as Lucasfilm, Industrial Light and Magic, and Pixar, which have all revolutionized the film world, much like his movies. His success also shows in Star Wars, which is the 3rd highest grossing film series of all time, behind only Harry Potter and James Bond, with 8 and 23 films respectively. I aspire to George Lucas, because he is very smart and successful, and has revolutionized the film world. He is truly a hero to me.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the Gallery Page dedicated to George Lucas, also by Michael.