Bill Gates

by Omied from Woodland Hills

Bill Gates is my hero because he has done so much to make our world better. As a result of his contributions to technology, we are enjoying a high degree of efficiency and productivity in offices, schools, factories, hospitals, etc. His generous donations to non - profit organizations has had a significant impact in developing educational programs. He has not just helped our world in technology, but has also helped people from poor and under-developed countries. He has made several foundations for various causes in the past few years.

Bill Gates and his wife, Melinda, have endowed a foundation with more than 24 billion dollars to support philantropic initiatives in the areas of global health and learning, with hope that as we move into to 21st century, advances in these complicated ideas will be available for all people. Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation has donated more than 2 billion dollars to organizations working in global health and more than 2 billion dollars to improve learning opportunities, including the Gates Libraries in low-income community projects and annual giving campaigns.

Their foundation currently focuses on its attention on three areas: vaccine-preventable diseases, reproductive and child health and conditions associated with poverty. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation is dedicated to sharing the promise of new technologies with all citizens. The foundation is focusing its efforts in three critical areas: education, libraries and public access to information. A couple of months ago, he has made grants to help the people who are in poverty get free vaccinations .

Recently, he's been giving other countries awards, because he supports their passion for helping the people in need. One of his recent awards was on June 3, 2004, when his foundation recognized the Bangladesh Rural Advancement Committee, a pioneer in developing world health, for its service to some 31 million poor in Bangladesh.

What he has done for the past few years of his life make him a hero because, he used his profits from his business to benifit people's lives who are unfortunetly poor. Also, he has made so many changes in our would technologically, that has saved lives as well. For example, some of his technologies that he invented and/or has improved in his life have been used in life support machines which are used on people that are ill everyday. Bill Gates is my hero because I have acknowledged his achievements in improving our technology to save lives and has donated money to save lives as well.

Bill Gates Home Page (Microsoft) - Describes some of Microsofts important events
Bill Gates Biography Site - Short biography of Bill Gate's Life
Bill Gates Before Microsoft - Bill Gate's life before Microsoft
Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation - The site of Bill Gate's foundation