George Washington

by Hyun from Cupertino High School

"Be courteous to all, but intimate with few, and let those few be well tried before you give them your confidence.”-George Washington
<a href=http://www.britishbattles.com/images/trenton/washington-delaware-l.jpg>Washington Crossing Delaware by Emmanuel Leutze</a>
Washington Crossing Delaware by Emmanuel Leutze

This quote is only one of the wonderful quotes that George Washington said, and by far my favorite. This quote alone says that he was a great president, in my eyes the greatest. George Washington made our nation what it is today. If we didn’t have the leadership skills from our 'first father,' and a few others, we could have turned out like Africa, with famine, or Iraq, with war and terrorism.

George Washington was born February 22, 1732, in Westmoreland Virginia. George was the oldest son of his father Augustine Washington, a Virginia planter, and Mary Ball Washington. Although George did not have formal schooling, his child notebooks indicated that he studied geography, military history, agriculture, and mathematics. His parents probably tutored him too. When George was just 16 years old, he was invited to survey the Shenandoah Valley {Fairfaxs land}. In the summer of 1749, he was appointed surveyor of Culpeper Co. George spent most of his early years at his family's estate along the Potomac Rriver. After George's father died, George went to live with his half-brother Lawrence on Mount Vernon.

George Washington was very brave when he fought in the Revolutionary War. He was dependable when he became president, and people counted on him to lead them to the future. George Washington was unstoppable when he helped win independence from Great Britain. He was encouraging when he ran for president. Last but not least, George Washington was very responsible in being the first president and leading the Continental Army.

After the Americans won the war and gained independence, George went back to Mount Vernon. Then in 1789, some electors elected George to be the first President of the United States. George was the president for seven years. George was elected twice. Even though George was not the president anymore he was still in office. He remained in office for one year, and then he retired. Then in 1798, George was again appointed the commander of the American Army, because France was threatening war. However, the French never attacked, so George didn’t do much. Then on December 14, 1799, a tragic event occurred; George Washington, the father of our country, died. He woke up one morning and could barely talk or breathe. George had a horrible fever and couldn’t stop shaking. His wife Martha called for George Rawlins to bleed him so he could be cured. Rawlins tried, but took too much blood from George, so he died.

George Washington was a very important person in my eyes. A good hero should know how to be a leader. George Washington led the Continental Army and led the nation as president for two terms. I also think a hero should be smart like he was. Even though he didn’t have any college education, he was still really smart. Heroes should also help other people and not just themselves. George helped a lot of people gain independence from Britain. He enlisted in the Army and fought for us. I think people should try a little bit to be like him, and do good things for the people. Brave, smart, and encouraging; yes this does describe a hero, but it describes George Washington even better. He has inspired the nation, and me, by giving us our rights. From a young lad to an old man, he was, and always will be, a hero.

Biography of George Washington - His Biography
George Washington - Explains his life achievements
George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens - It shows where he lived
Quotes of People - Lots famous quotes

Interesting Facts, from 'About: George Washington' -Washington was the only Founding Father to free his slaves. -He was the only president who did not live in Washington D.C. -The nation's capital, along with one state, 31 counties, and 17 cities (Maybe 18 counting the town of "George," in central Washington State) are named in his honor. -As a farmer, Washington grew marijuana on his farm and promoted it's growth. (In the 1790s, the crop was grown mainly for its industrial value as hemp and for soil stabilization. It was many years later that the recreational and illegal use of marijuana became popular.) -As a farmer, he is credited with introducing the mule to America. -He was the first Mason to serve as president. -He was the only president to win a unanimous vote of the Electoral College. -Washington's 2nd inaugural address was the shortest ever delivered - 135 words -His teeth where made out of animal teeth From:http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/thepresidentandcabinet/a/gwtheman.htm