Gidget and Meadow

by Leslie from New Jersey

My boyfriend and I lived in a small upstairs apartment about a year ago and we have two free-range bonded rabbits named Meadow and Gidget. One night at about 5am, we both awoke to the sound of our rabbit, Gidget, thumping. She continued to thump and run back and forth from the door to the kitchen up to our bed. Meadow also began to thump, sensing what Gidget did. With rabbits, thumping sometimes means anger, but in this situation we knew it was danger as they persisted. We got up to search for the problem and when we walked into the kitchen we immediately smelled gas and the smell was quickly spreading throughout our tiny apartment. We called the fire department and they rushed in and found a gas leak from our stove. We let the firemen know that it was in fact our two rabbits that woke us up and saved us. We consider Meadow and Gidget our absolute heroes and know that we so lucky to have them! :)