Andrew Greene Jr.

by Alex W from Sycamore Jr. High

Andrew Greene Jr. (My Hero Website)
Andrew Greene Jr. (My Hero Website)

Andrew Benson Greene Jr. is a hero to people that were victims of the civil was in Sierra Leone, Africa. During the civil was children and adults were kidnapped and were forced to be soldiers. Families were torn apart by the war there. Over 12,000 kids were taken from their families.

Andrew is a mentor and advocate for all kids rights. He wants to help them because he wants them to grow up to be good people and not take after some of the people in Sierra Leone who are people that have violence in there lives. Andrew and the organization he works with have had many awards given to them such as The Cable and Wireless Child Net award in UK 2003. He has led workshops all over the world like Beijing. Andrew was a guest speaker addressing the 35 Annual Session of the Hague International Model United Nations on children’s rights. Andrew attended the Fourah Bay College, University of Sierra Leone, in 1998. Andrew holds a B.A. in English, Civil Law, and also in International Relations. He also likes creative writing and poetry and wants to publish a book by 2005. Andrew teaches the children to be peaceful. The kids there do projects on peace and other things. In his five years there he has worked with over three hundred kids His slogan is “Just as it takes acts of war to make war, it takes act of peace to make peace.” He said his hero was Martin Luther King Jr. because he said that he tried to stop violence in the world.

Andrew is the National Coordinator and co-founder of the International Education and Resource Network, IEARN. IEARN Sierra Leone was formed in 1999. The Teachers and kids there were victims or affected by the war there. The kids there are learning how to use things that have to do with technologies such as the computer to help deal with the problems in there life. Andrew teaches them to be peaceful. The kids there do projects on peace and other things. In his five years there he has worked with over three hundred kids His slogan is “Just as it takes acts of war to make war, it takes act of peace to make peace.” He said his hero was Martin Luther King Jr. because he said that he tried to stop violence in the world.

Andrew is a hero to others near and far because he is a teacher to kids near and far away. He is related to the book because he helps kids that are victims of war.

Andrew Greene is a hero to me because he has helped others by his own choice and he is not told to. He is a hero to me because he took his own money to pay for kids to ride the bus to get to the work center in their downtown.

Child soliders - People that help children that have been affected by war