Henry Bergh

by Taylor from San Diego

"Mercy to animals means mercy to mankind."(Henry Bergh). This quote from Henry Bergh informs how animals should have the same rights as man and need the love and care they deserve. Henry Bergh always had a passion for animals since he was a boy. Later leaving his college in Columbia, he decided to devote the rest of his life to the protection of animals. In 1843, Bergh began his mission to end all cruelty to animals and to give them the rights they deserve. Henry Bergh inspired everyone he came into contact with to fight animal abuse; he acted responsibly when he stood up to animal abusers as well as being brave for the rights of animals and protesting against animal cruelty.

For many people, Henry Bergh was an inspiration for the absence of animal cruelty through his powerful speeches and his Declaration of the Rights of Animals. Bergh gains many friends and increases his influence among people. "Through his exertions as a speaker and lecturer, and as a bold worker in the street in the court room, and before the Legislature of the state, he gained many friends and rapidly increased influence." Bergh inspired others to stop the cruelty to animals and to provide them with respect. Henry's tireless lecture gains many friends. Animal welfare rights are supported by the passing of the Declaration of the Rights of Animals. "Horace Greeley and seventy other prominent citizens signed Bergh's 'A Declaration of the Rights of Animals' The Albany legislature passed an animal welfare statute in response, also chartering the continent's first humane organization: the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals." After "A Declaration of the Rights of Animals" was signed by many citizens, Bergh's mission to end the abuse of animals was one step closer. More and more people signed the Declaration and took part of Henry's dream to end violence to animals with his inspirational lectures to end violence to all animals.

Through his process to ending animal abuse, Henry knew it was his responsibility to show the horrors of bullfights and slaughterhouses. The Declaration for the Rights of Animals was one of his steps to success along with the people of America. Ill and abused horses were forcedly removed from the track every day. "Henry gave orders to take from the tracks of every horse that had an aliment or a sore. The condition of the wretched animals attached to the cars at the time was notoriously bad, and the consequence was that the society's men found plenty of work." Henry Bergh took in every poorly treated horse to treat them until they got better. He made sure every horse would be taken care of. By Henry's order horses with sores or ailments were removed from the tracks resulting in more work for men. Bergh's indignant reaction to people's joyous reaction to animal cruelty leads him to take charge to end the suffering of animals. "According to the next day's edition of The Sun Bergh impressed attendees with his indignant recollection of a family watching a bullfight in Spain who '.seemed to receive their most ecstatic throb from the maddening stab of the horned animal.' Bergh then detailed practices in America, including cockfighting and the horrors of slaughterhouses." Mr. Bergh exposed the dark secrets of slaughterhouses which were involved with how cruelly the animals were treated. Henry's exposure to the family's excitement of watching the bullfights fueled his drive to find a way to end the senseless cruelty to animals. The dream of ending animal abuse was one step closer for becoming a reality with horses being rescued and the decreasing numbers of slaughterhouses throughout America.

Henry Bergh enforced the ethical rights for animals as well as protesting against the cruelty of animals. People are forced to stop and recognize how their actions are inhumane to animals. "Wearing the shiny silver badge of the society, he patrolled New York City's streets, forcing passengers to disembark from overloaded horse-drawn streetcars, stopping cockfights and dogfights, arresting butchers for treating live calves cruelly and sailors for boring holes in the flippers of live turtles, and exposing the feeding of garbage and spoiled milk to cows." For many of these efforts he was mocked by the popular press, and his home and the offices of the society were protested because of his passion for saving animals. Henry risked his life and reputation for the protection of animals. The state legalizes a local law for animal protection. "As a result of ensuring efforts the state legislature, on Apr. 10, 1866, granted a charter of incorporation to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. This act legalized a body, independent of existing constituted authorities, to enforce local laws for animal protection. "Bergh's involvement was instrumental to help enforce the laws for animal cruelty to everyone. As a result of his efforts on April 10, 1866 the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was granted a charter of incorporation. Because of his love for animals Bergh was able to enforce the laws for animal rights even though the act risked his life and reputation. Declaration for the Rights of Animals was one of his steps to success along with his inspirational lectures to end violence to all animals.

Henry Bergh respected animals and took action to protect their safety. Bergh was able to apply the laws for animal rights and rebel against the acts of animal abuse. Henry knew it was his responsibility to illustrate the outrage of dogfights, cockfights and slaughterhouses to the people of America. For most people, Henry Bergh was an inspiration for the absence of animal cruelty. I have always wanted to work for the ASPCA or an animal rescuer. It is nice to know how the company all began. Henry was a hero and inspiration to me because he never gave up to ensure the rights for animals. Bergh was able to achieve this through his powerful speeches and his Declaration of the Rights of Animals. The acts of animal abuse have decreased dramatically since the 19th century because of Bergh's dream to eliminate all violence to animals. His work continues today with more and more people standing up for the rights of animals.

The History of the ASPCA - The History of the ASPCA talks about the acts Henry Bergh preformed to ensure the rights of animals.
Death of Henry Bergh - Death of Henry Bergh discusses Henry's life.
Henry Bergh - Henry Bergh shares what inspired Bergh to protect animals.