Harry Houdini

by Cole from Williamsville

Harry Houdini was a hero. He didn't have any school education, and he was born in Hungary. His real name is Ehrich Wiess, but he is normally referred to as Harry Houdini, the Handcuff King. He was an all around hero.

Harry's background is a very magical and interesting journey. Houdini had little formal education, but his self-education was a lifelong pursuit. "My mind," he is often quoted as saying, "is the key that sets me free." Ehrich didn't have any education. He would say that he knew that people doubted him because of his education. He was born on April 6th 1874. He arrived in the United States on July 3, 1878, on the SS Fresia with his mother. By the time Houdini was six, he had already developed a taste for magic and sleight of hand. His first trick was making a dried pea appear in any one of three cups. Three more years into his life, Ehrich and some neighborhood friends established a five-cent circus. Wearing red woolen stockings, he bills himself as "Ehrich, The Prince of the Air." At age 11, Houdini began to work for a local locksmith and was soon able to pick any lock. Two years later, Ehrich hopped a freight car and ran away from home. One year later, at 13 he began getting an interest in magic. Houdini made several movies, but quit acting when it failed to bring in money He was also quick to sue anyone who pirated his escape stunt. Houdini was always so original.

Harry had many accomplishments, and did a quite few things for his community. He escaped from strait jacket upside down, chained ankles for entertainment. Houdini escaped from jail cells live in television and in front of audiences. All types of handcuff breaking magic. Would jump bridges just for the audience. Went into padlocked crates thrown into rivers with him inside, also handcuffed. He even escaped from a giant pepper bag. He gave people lots of hope, he gave people entertainment when in the blues, and when they felt like they were trapped. Always went out of his way to support the magic community. The most important thing though, he gave everyone belief that they could escape too.

Harry Houdini had many challenged rights and problems. He lived in a time when far too many people had far too little rights. He always had the questions. How do I improve the escapes? What new escapes can I create? Can I keep the tricks counseled? How far should I go with the tricks? He faced staggering adversity. Harry had to go through a rough life as a child. His childhood was spent in poverty. He was always wondering what he could do to entertain, and learning new ways to get out of handcuffs. Houdini worked through all of his problems and challenges, even though they were often challenged.

Harry has many awards for being such an amazing magician. Harry was given the Mirror Cuff Escape Award.  He named himself the 'Handcuff King' and was famous from that name. He was awarded the first record for an underwater burial. The world record for longest time under water (1hr 31 minutes). Also has been given the award strait jacket world champion. Harry has gotten many awards for several different things. He has broken records, beaten records, and made records.

Harry has many great heroic traits. Houdini had lots of Bravery. Harry is a very brave guy, always conquering death and fear. He would do what was considered insane, to entertain. Harry was a determined fellow. Harry was determined to do his magic and make his tricks better, to make them harder, and better find ways to fool the audience. He was determined to never fail and never quit what he was doing. Harry was gallantry. Harry would always do dangerous stunts but he never backed down because he always knew he had the capability to come out fine, so he always held a high spirit and came out fine. Harry had many heroic traits and qualities.

Many people can learn from Houdini. He was always doing the best he could no matter what they through at him. There were of course some people who didn't believe in magic and doubted him, but he always kept going and tried to make everyone happy and give them hope. People can learn from him and try to help the community and make people happy during a time of grief. People can try to make the impossible come true like Harry did. He gave everyone inspiration to try new things and never give up even when you're in the worst of situations. That just because you live in poverty doesn't mean you can't have fun or make a living of a job. Harry Houdini has set a great example and lots of kids and learn from his achievements and bravery.

Harry Houdini was a wonderful person. He could make people happy and give them hope that they weren't trapped. He represented freedom. If Harry could, escape a giant milk can while strait jacketed, how could they not solve some of their own problems? Harry Houdini, is a hero and should always be remembered.