Hachiko

by Vanessa from San Diego

Hi, my name is Vanessa. My hero is a dog named Hachiko. Hachi changed people's lives by showing strong loyalty and not giving up on who you love.

Hachi was found by a professor at Tokyo University named Dr. Eisaburo Ueno. The professor was going to give Hachi to the shelter, but he decided to keep him as his pet. He tried to teach Hachi how to fetch, but one of his friends said that those kind of dogs fetch on a special event. After that Hachi walked with Dr. Eisaburo to the train station, and when he came back from work they walked back together home. Then one day when Hachi's master went to work, Hachi didn't want to come with him. Hachi waited for a few minutes, then he went to go get his ball, and ran to the train station. It looked to me like Hachi was warning his master not to go to work, but Eisaburo ignored Hachi, and went to work. When Eisaburo was at work, he had a heart attack, and died. Hachi didn't know that his master was dead, so Hachi returned to the Shibuya Train Station for the next 9 years. To wait for him to come back.....

This is Hachi waiting for his master to come back.

Hachiko died in March, 1934. That's why Hachiko inspired me to be loyal. If you want to know the whole story read the movie, Hachi: A Dogs Tale. Thank you.