Ebrahim Hazany

by David from Woodland Hills

Ebrahim Hazany, my father, has many heroic qualities that deserve recognition. A hero is someone who can endure and overcome major challenges to achieve greatness. A hero never gives up; they are focused and determined on working long and hard to always try harder than their hardest. A hero is someone who does more than help himself or herself, they never abandon someone who is relying on them, and they always make the best of every situation. That is why my hero is my father, Ebrahim Hazany.

He was born and raised in the third world country of Iran. As a child, he spent many hours in his father's fabric and antique store instead of playing sports with his friends. He always fantasized about the doctors in America and how advanced they are, and aspired to one day turn out at least half as successful as they did. This shows his will power and determination even as a child. He was quite a large child and was discriminated against for that. During that time, he had acquired symptoms of depression. This resulted in an ongoing struggle throughout elementary, middle school, and half of high school. He was put on the right track when he self diagnosed his depression and it was then that he truly became passionate about the medical field.

After witnessing the effects of depression first-hand, he was determined to help other people in the same situation. This is his most outstanding heroic quality. At this point in his life, his heroic qualities begin to show and truly develop. After struggling in school for so long he finally got over his passive-aggressive behavior and started excelling in his studies. Because of his efforts, he was able to take an exam similar to the SAT, which determines a person's chances of getting into college. Due to his proficiency and understanding, he scored extremely well on this exam. This resulted in his acceptance to the University of Tehran, the most advanced school in all of Iran. This was a major step in his road to success, and in the latter half of high school and his first two years of college, he matured greatly and became significantly more responsible. At this point his status as a hero became evident.

After attending the university of Tehran and getting married, he decided it was time to set new goals. Understanding that you have to continuosly grow and acting on that knowledge is another heroic quality that my father shows. He had decided that he would move to America and complete his education there. Five years prior to the move he had the pleasure of having his first son. While planning the move, he experienced an unpleasent event when when his second child developed in-utero developmental problems and including a clogged windpipe which resulted in a miscarriage. Before making the crucial change in his life and immigrating to the U.S. he had to renew his visa by living in Italy for a little over a year. During this year my parents were blessed with the fabulous arrival of the greatest son they could have ever hoped for: Me! (You have to be a hero to deal with me on a daily basis after all.)

Shortly after he and his spectacular family moved to America, he attended medical school at the University of California in Los Angeles. After many hours of studying which included countless overnight study sessions, he finally received a prestigious PhD. in psychology. But these accomplishments led to another necessary heartbreak: he was forced to temporarily move to Pennsylvania where his younger brother lived to complete his residency. This was because of his status as a foreign graduate and the fact that there was a abundance of American-raised colleagues in the area taking openings and job offers. He was forced to leave his wife alone while pregnant and caring for two young children between the ages of 4 and 10. Fortunately, she received support form her 6 siblings that lived in the area, and they occasionally watched my brother and me or helped cook meals if my mother was suffering from an illness. If not for their support, I think my mother would have let loose her anger and frustration. However she was instead just very grateful, to everyone's surprise. Roughly 8 months after my younger sister was born in June of 1993, my father returned and immediately started to work in hospitals located in gang- occupied areas, such as in Watts. He worked in other places such as the ICU in UCLA Medical Center as well

His M.D. allowed him to work in various fields of his medical profession. Slowly increasing his abilities through first-hand experience, he gained confidence through the years, even working in an E.R. Soon after, he started working as a psychiatrist in hospitals closer to his home in the valley. Understanding the economical status of some of his patients, he gave some of them discounts knowing that he was once in their situation.

Now being more successful and accomplished than ever he still remembers his struggle to reach the pinnacle of his career. He hopes that maybe some of his less fortunate patients can someday make a difference in the world if they too can overcome their depression and can put a clearer, happier mind to work. He is an aid to society as well as a role model for our youth.

In addition, my father's determination and maturity allowed him to become a role model and a hero to many different people. He is viewed as a hero by many of his patients and their close family. I look up to him and hope to be like him one day, not because of his financial success, but because he makes a difference in the lives of people in need and enjoys doing it.

American Board of Psychology and Neurology - A search engine on the subject of Neurology
American Board of Medical Specialties - General and Specific searches on the subject of medicine