Indira Gandhi

by Sruti Sivan from Suwanee

"A nation's strength ultimately consists in what it can do on its own, and not in what it can borrow from others." You have probably heard of this quote by Indira Gandhi, the prime minister of India from 1966 to 1984. Indira Gandhi is a hero because she helped many people from India and Pakistan while she was a prime minister. 

Indira Gandhi was born on November 19, 1917 in Allahabad, India. She was the only child of Jawaharlal and Kamala Nehru. She went to a Swiss boarding school for some years, then later studied history at Somerville College, Oxford. Her father, Jawaharlal Nehru, was a very big influence because he was India's first prime minister from August 15, 1947 until his death, which was on May 27, 1964. When Indira's father was prime minister, she agreed to go to New Delhi to serve as his hostess. Her mother, Kamala Kaul, was a freedom fighter for India, but she passed away because of tuberculosis in 1936. Indira Gandhi was a hero in many ways too.

Gandhi helped the creation of the nation of Bangladesh when she resolved the dispute between Kashmir and the Pakistani president. She also led a movement called the Green Revolution to help with the food shortages that affected the poor farmers in India. In 1971, she also helped the movement of Bengali to divide East and West Pakistan. She had many impacts among people.

Gandhi was an important hero because she helped many people in India and Pakistan in her lifetime. She gave some temporary homes to refugees and helped create Bangladesh too. Gandhi was a very compassionate and determined person during her life; she helped many people and touched many lives as well.

Biography.com Editors. "Indira Gandhi Biography." The Biography.com Website. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 21 Sept. 2015.

"Indira Gandhi." History.com. A&E Television Networks, n.d. Web. 14 Oct. 2015.