Itzhak Perlman

by Flora from San Diego

"The most important thing to do is really listen." -Itzhak Perlman

A single note streaks through the darkness of the concert hall-a note full of beauty and passion. The audience is transfixed; wonder-filled faces turn towards the lone violinist illuminated on the stage. His bow sweeps up and down in grand strokes, and his seemingly thick and clumsy fingers contradictorily strike the ringing strings with surprising delicacy. The Paganini concerto that flows from his violin is flawless and emotional; he manages to coax breathtaking tones out of a mere wooden instrument. All this he does while seated on a rickety chair, his legs splayed like those of a puppet. This musician-possibly one of the best violinists in the world-is Itzhak Perlman. Born on August 31, 1945 in Tel Aviv, Israel, Perlman is "one of the most famous and sought-after international violin virtuosos" ("Itzhak Perlman." Contemporary).  He contracted polio myelitis when he was four years old, which left him with paralyzed lower limbs. However, because of his passionate desire to play the violin, he continued to practice even through his struggles. Later, in 1958, Perlman moved to the United States to perform for the Ed Sullivan show, and consequently was accepted into the Juilliard School of Music in New York City to study under famous violinists Dorothy Delay and Ivan Galamian. Presently, he performs for and conducts a variety of popular orchestras around the world, such as the Detroit Symphony Orchestra for which he served as principal guest conductor in its 2001-2002 season ("Itzhak Perlman." Contemporary). What makes Perlman impressive is not only his achievements, but also his personality traits that help him to accomplish his goals. A hero must be persistent, positive, and brave. Perlman fits into all of these criteria. Even though he could not walk without the aid of crutches, Perlman still persevered and never gave up on his aim to play the violin. His persistence eventually led to his success, and currently, he does everything he can to encourage others to pursue their dreams. Not only does he uplift others with his positivity, but he also voices his opinions courageously and acts upon what he believes is right. Violinist Itzhak Perlman, despite his disability, demonstrates his heroism by persevering relentlessly, giving hope to youths with developing dreams, and standing for his beliefs.

Itzhak Perlman never gives up or backs down, no matter what obstacles stand in his way. Perlman's love for music strengthens his determination and persistence, as shown when he describes his disability and how he overcame it in his interview with PBS's Tavis Smiley: "So, I mean, it had to do with my parents. You know, they felt that this was not one of those things to stop me from practicing my violin, you know. It has nothing to do - I always say separate your abilities from your disabilities. You know, if I could play the violin, I don't have to play it standing up. I can play it sitting down and so on" (Perlman). One of Perlman's greatest heroic traits is his determination to prevent his disability from interfering with his goals and dreams. In his childhood, even though he might have looked strange while playing, he did not give up on his dream of becoming a violinist. Perlman dismissed all his doubts, and did not focus on what he could not do. Instead, he focused on what he could do-practice and perform sitting down. He did not take notice of his disability, nor did he let it control what he wanted to be. Minnesota Public Radio's Brian Newhouse accounts about Perlman's concert with the Minnesota Orchestra on May 19, 2001, when he fell while ascending the stage: "Though it took him several minutes, he insisted on making it to the chair on his own, entertaining the audience with his humor as he went. As a result, he received an ovation before the performance even began"(Knox). Even though he fell down, Perlman did not give up and ask for help. He wished to prove to others that being disabled is merely a title; it does not affect one's drive or ambitions in any way. Instead of feeling disappointed in himself, Perlman, ever enthusiastic, entertained "the audience with his humor as he went". He might have felt like giving up then and there, but Perlman stood up, brushed himself off, and continued walking with optimism.  His persistence is inspiring, especially for people who feel like giving up on something they love. He teaches that even through countless stumbles, everyone can be satisfied with themselves if they look at their mistakes with positive mindsets. Perlman's determination and never-failing will make him a worthy hero not only to musicians, but also to anyone weighted down with hindrances that keep them from accomplishing their ambitions.

Perlman's heroism is also shown in his ability to encourage and uplift others with his superb sense of humor and optimism. The violinist tries to help others with an interest in music take action to fulfill their dreams, no matter how difficult they are: "'Whenever I have the chance, I visit and play at hospitals for kids with severe disabilities. I do it to show them that a disability should not mean that you cannot do anything'" ("Itzhak Perlman." Biography). Perlman uplifts others when they do not have hope for themselves. He spreads hope and inspiration to disabled musicians, ensuring them that nothing is impossible for a passionate heart. Even through his disabilities, Perlman accomplishes his own dreams and makes his visions a reality. Taking these successes as examples, he shows others that anyone can achieve his dreams if he has enough passion, enthusiasm, and determination. However, Perlman knows how difficult it is to overcome obstacles in pursuing a dream. Therefore, he tries his best to uplift others, especially children, by showing them that disabilities do not affect one's way of fulfilling his or her dreams. He cares for others greatly, and wants to change the world by allowing more people to achieve happiness rather than give up early with the belief of impossibility. Perlman's outstanding sense of humor aids in his ability to encourage and appeal to large audiences: "Believing that media exposure will attract wider audiences to classical music, Perlman has appeared many times on television--talk shows, news magazines, and children's shows--during which he dispels with his sense of humor the image of classical music as elitist or 'stuffy'" ("Itzhak Perlman." Contemporary). Using optimism, humor, and positivity instead of pessimism or negativity, Perlman uncovers the true passion and intensity behind music. He encourages others to love classical music by publicizing it on popular television shows and by using his humor to show that professional musicians are not arrogant, petty superiors; they are ordinary humans with a great love for music. Also, he inspires other musicians to play their hearts out with a smile, instead of playing rigidly with a "stuffy" feel. Currently in the twenty-first century, most of society prefers to listen to pop, rock, and other contemporary forms of music. However, Perlman brings attention to the beautiful classical pieces most people choose to ignore, and helps others realize how awe-inspiring these pieces can be. Perlman is always optimistic, inspiring and encouraging others who need a little push in the direction of their personal goals.

As a naturally outspoken man, Perlman has the courage to voice his opinions and thoughts for what he thinks is right-a clear quality of a hero. He speaks out for the rights of the disabled, arguing for the construction of buildings more suitable for the handicapped to enter and exit: "Perlman is a tireless supporter of the rights of the disabled and has been consulted by architects in the construction of schools and concert halls...And he has refused to play at certain concert halls in the U.S. until they improve their handicapped access. He also insists that he be shown on television entering the stage on his crutches, and not sitting down" ("Itzhak Perlman." Biography).  Perlman outright refuses to perform in concert halls that are not easily accessible for the disabled. He is fully aware that for change to happen, people have to take action, no matter how much criticism they might face. Perlman, since he is disabled as well, fiercely supports rights for the handicapped. He values justice and non-discrimination, so he perseveres to improve disabled access for buildings, specifically concert halls. Empathizing with the feelings of the disabled, Perlman strives to create a better world where everyone, despite their difficulties or differences, is able to enjoy music all the same. Not only does he speak for disabled rights, but Perlman also does not hesitate to criticize music education in America: "He is also an outspoken critic of the failure of schools to educate children properly in music. 'I think music is one of the greatest, most inspired parts of an education. At least it should be.' He claims that music education in the U.S. is 'pathetic' because of the lack of good teachers and the way music is taught. 'Very rarely do you find a teacher who is so inspired that the inspiration becomes infectious to the students. That's really what's needed'" ("Itzhak Perlman." Biography). He points out what needs improvement in the present music education, and ultimately aims to alter it. Calling music instruction in the United States "pathetic," Perlman speaks his opinions and aims for change. He desires for others to feel the passion he feels towards music, but he states that this is not easy in America, where society does not give much attention to musical education. Therefore, he strives to inspire and teach people, especially youths, about music as best as he can. Even though he risks being criticized and judged for expressing his opinions, Perlman holds the courage to speak out for what he thinks is right, standing up for what he believes in rather than turning a blind eye to the world's imperfections.

Itzhak Perlman makes the best of his life, even with a paralyzed lower body, by never giving up, always being enthusiastic, and boldly expressing his beliefs. His never-ending perseverance and optimism make him an inspiration to other musicians as well as to people with dreams they are passionate about. Perlman's courage in speaking out for himself and for others is another admirable trait. His inner strength and wisdom is inspiring and uplifting, showing that even the most disadvantaged person can succeed and overcome his or her challenges with the right passion and determination. "Finally, Perlman has become an effective role model for persons with disabilities in achieving excellence despite, or perhaps even because of, his confinement to a wheelchair" (Mak). Specifically to me, Perlman demonstrates that I can achieve anything if I have the right mindset, no matter what obstacles I might face. Since I myself am a musician, Perlman expresses to me the beauty of music, and how even though one's body may be disabled, his heart and his love for music will never fail him. He amazes me in how he can enjoy playing the violin so much, even though he is handicapped. There are instances when I don't feel like practicing-when I feel like giving up; however, when I remember all the difficulties Perlman faces every day just to play his beloved violin, this motivates me to give my all in music, without holding back or complaining. He inspires me to dream about a day when I can stand on a stage and emotionally move my audience, just as he did on that performance I watched with wonderstruck eyes. Once again in that concert hall, as the concerto ends, the violinist removes his instrument carefully from the cradle of his shoulder, silence resounding around the concert hall. He cannot stand and bow, so he remains seated, lips erupting into a joyful grin-though his eyes are flecked with tears. His head bobs in gratitude, and the audience stands in fervent applause. "I would hope that when the time comes with me, you know, that I would recognize it and I would say thank you so much, I'm finished" (Perlman).

"Itzhak Perlman." Contemporary Musicians. Vol. 37. Detroit: Gale, 2002. Biography in Context.

Web. 17 Mar. 2014.

"Itzhak Perlman." Itzhak Perlman (Biography Today) (2010): 1. Biography Reference Center.

Web. 21 Mar. 2014.

Knox, Kevin J. "Itzhak Perlman." Great Lives From History: Jewish Americans (2010): 81.

Biography Reference Center. Web. 17 Mar. 2014.

Mak Siu-Yin. "Itzhak Perlman." Musicians And Composers Of The Twentieth Century (2009): 1.