Poets

Jacqueline Amos

by Jacqueline from Brooklyn

Author and Artist Jacqueline Amos (personal)

Black Girl Don't You Cry

The trees applaud as I sing my song
The ground continues to open and close
I stop upon the bark of the street
I sing my song, black man be free
The birds surrounded me as I bowed
The ants sat at attention as I began to cry
The roaring winds play my melody
The waters begin to applaud as
I sing the song out loud
Nobody knows the trouble I seen.

Lord the bird sing, the wind screamed
The sun went down, the ground begin
To curdle as I cry and danced out loud.

The tears begin to fall, the laughter and
The joy, all the time the colored folks
Was standing behind the bark
Of the tree, a horse ran behind the bark
And the burning bush cried aloud
Black girl don't you cry.

When ol’ Sista' Bessie Pray

When ol' Sis' Bessie pray,
The tears come streaming down my face,
The spirits of God, lord da’ woman cry, me speaks;
I see myself, I feel my lord,
so poor and weak, I’se sing
the songs on da Calvary; I stand da’ cross
Down on my knees the cross I seek,
When ol' Sis' Bessie pray. Da’
church house wave de hand in
Da air, When ol' Sis' Bessie pray,
The thunders of chariots come
down to deliver me, Mount.
Sinai come rushing, the
spirit lift me to the sky
down from up on high;
the joyful noise of the lord.

Negro people cry. When ol’
Sista’ Bessie pray
devil can’t stay in the lord's house,
turns his back and fly
While sinners loud for pardon cry.

When ol' Sis' Bessie pray her
hands flying in Da’ sky
When ol' Sis' Bessie cry de’ prayer,
Hard sinners tremble in their seat
To hear her voice in sorrow repeat
all the pulpit cry,
the church sob and weep.

"O Shepherd, I follow thee
not the flock, the poor
lost sheep! When ol' Sis' Bessie pray.
When ol' Sista' Bessie pray,
I stand and scream, Hallelujah
The whole house rock and moan.

To see her tears and hear her groan;
the spirit lifted, the white church home,
the pastor lay hands
on me, the moans, of ol’ Bessie de song da sing
There's something in Sista' Bessie’s groans
Oh Yea, Oh yea, glory to God,

Ol’ Sis’ Bessie scream.
Da’ lord my shepherd, my lord my
strength, my lord break the curse
of all bad things, all hearts
though made of stone
When ol' Sis' Bessie pray.
When ol' Sis' Bessie pray,
Salvation's Hallelujahs, light comes pouring down
fills the Negro church all the town Chilean,
Why, angels attach the wings of da master,
the willing heart sings.

In De’ Old Negro House

I heard the old folks talking in our house the other night about lord knows who gonna make it to the house of right, old black man sat and moved his head, as the old folks talk about the white folks, the old man sat, and shook his head, the old folks was singing coming by lord, and the old man kept shaking his head. Ol’ Mrs. Suzie scratched her head, and the ol women continue to be heard. Mr. Ozzie sat beside the table in the rear, he said woman let me give you words, you ol’ women talk about the white folks up the hill, what are you telling the Chilean that lives below, it's nice for Negroes to sit and chat, how we gonner save our Chilean from the swinging rope.

The lady folks all abused him, said "He knower it wasn't right," of course, the men folks agreed they all say amen, "Dat's so." Mr. Ozzie shook his head, as da’ ol’ women, continue to speak, Ozzie sat without a word. Mr. Ozzie was about 84, Ozzie said excuse me Maim; your ol’ women never let the ol’ man speak. I’se tell you de truth, about the word right, to build a country where all men I’se one, I tell you the story of the swinging rope, when men were hanged below the shadow tree, I’se lucky man, through the eyes of the lord, I’sa tired of hearing, of the white man cause, I’se was a strong man, in my younger life, I’se on my way out, don’t want to hear about right "Dats so." What is right?

When folks make you the back door, I’se understanding what you ol’ sister speak, but lord will I ever see my Chilean free, Lord said a free man is a righteous man, so da’ slave master was the devil man, so sister Suzie what da’ say about that, may be the Negro folks, follow the laws of the devil master, and the good master is right in de’ name of de lord.

Ol’ man Ozzie say lord say part from the unjust, de devil will turn away, fur not upon the furrows of righteousness, and thou shall not reap them seven fore, I’se 84 years old, I’se read the script of the lord, all this time I live by the devil's rules, so ol’ women? Who is right and who is wrong?

Lord say not I have sinned, long suffering, he will not let thee go; da old man said “Dat’s so, who is the lord, put no man, before the lord, crying the slave master song, ol’ woman who do you obey, long suffering the whip of master we praise. I’se 84 years old, da’ lord say believe in him, not the white folks' whips, I’se guest it’s too late for me, what bout the Chilean I leave, lord the old folks got thee in this place, cabins of death the folks own. Lord said we must labor to interpret Da' laws, Da’ wisdom cometh from de lord, and is with him forever, who could number the sand of the sea, and the drops of rain, and the days of eternity? Who can find out the height of heaven? Da breadth of the earth and the deep, and de wisdom.

Wisdom hath been created before all things, and the understandings of prudence from everlasting. The word of God most high. The fear of the lord is honour and glory, and gladness, the ol brudder Ozzie stood tall, the ol’ women began to cry, Dat’s so said the old women, raising her hands upon the sky, as the old Negro folks looked upon the skies, and began to cry, Lord I aint going study war no more, the old white house began to moan, lord I was already free, I’se the whip of my own family tree, tears shock da house, Ol’ man Ozzie sat back, in the rear of the house, humble as he can be, dropped his head in silence, and slowly went to sleep and pass on.

My Grand Mama’s De’ Strong Woman

My grand mama’s de’ strong, worked the stalls
Sun up and sun down,
Cotton fields burning sun
Stood up tall to the bristling sun,
O, if I could be half the woman as she
I would be the warrior of the world
My grandmothers were strong and hard.
Kept the master's whip with a plenty of skin.
They followed plows and bent to toil.

So who am I to wimp at life cause?
To sleep in a warm bed
Without the master cracking the whip at dawn.
My grand mamma was a strong woman.

They moved rocks, and sang the crying blood,
through fields sowing seed.
Taking care masters Chilean as
He sold them deem cheap labor,
Hanged her son when da’ out order
Lord my grand mama’s da’ strong

They touched earth and grain grew.
They were full of sturdiness and singing.
My grand mama’s da’ strong.
Lord, Lord come by here,

Humble as the morning sun
Trails of buggies during the
Slave job, de pain she rear,
she stood tall, work hard,
story she told, I live
like a queen in a little house,
Lord my grand mama was strong

I, Too, Sing America Free

O, the rivers upon my feet
The battleground of darkness,
That lies upon the swampy dark rivers;
I sing American nevertheless my
War begins at my feet, the blasting gun;
The smell of death, the leaf that gathers in my way;
The galloping horse, the leaves that protect me;
The cold black river;
and the smell of rotten fish;
I linger to eat.

I, too, sing America Free

The home of the free;
The flag that waves for me; upon
the skies; the national anthem
Oh, God I give to thee;
The hymns of victory the harps
songs upon the night;

I, too, sing America Free.

The mother Moses, the Jesus, who lie upon the cross
The ropes that bond his hands and feet;
The warriors of the night as they bring me cross,
I, too, sing America Free
I cry not the battle that I wept,
I as my brothers the test of faith
Man shall never understand the battles I fought.
I pledge allegiance upon the cross.
I sing the allegiance of my Father, Oh glory;
I sign the constitution in blood.

Nevertheless the color code pleaded;
a different allegiance to the flag
However, the land I walk upon, the
creations of God, the rivers that I walk,
The air that I breathe, the codes of scripts,
the legacies of the blue print written
In God's words; I shall set you free,
the passage of freedom that I pledge,
Oh say can you see;
The almighty that fought for me,
loyalties to the flag call Jesus;
Indoctrination freedom.

I, too, sing America Free.

I am the son of the sons
The war is over I give grace to God.

Black Woman's Journey and other writings - by Jacqueline Amos
Journey To My Father's House - Noumi Art Collections, Gallery, Book Store, Poetry

Jacqueline Amos writes:

The Armory Pen of A Black Woman Poet

Born 1949, Jacqueline Amos, a black poet, artist, school teacher, and published author.

Who is Jacqueline Amos? Who is seen most frequently worldwide on the Internet? A black woman who has felt the scars of a warrior. She states, "I have felt the scars of my ancestors. I have felt the whip of the oppressor, they have taken my life, but my spirit shall live beyond the clouds of my epitaph, I shall continue to live beyond the scars of my own demise."

Jacqueline was born in Harlem, and she completed her education at Medgar Evers College.

"I was the victim, the survivor, the back door, but the soul who has mastered; the reasoning of calm.
I shall teach the young, you can do and be anything in life. Dignity and strength, and hard work go hand in hand. One is free only if the mind accepts."

From the School House
To the Supreme Court
To the Battleground
To the Battered
To the Opening
Being Black In America
To the Lynching
To the Warrior
To the University
To Woman
To the Journey
To my Father's House

Jacqueline’s writing reflects the noble Harriet Tubman, the Black Mother Moses, a sharp tongue, and the spiritual protection of the almighty. Her writing reflects deep spirituality. Her first poem, “I Shall Rise,” reflects the name of Black Women. Jacqueline is not only a poet, but a spiritual poet. In "Within these Walls 2004," her writing unfolds the heroes; she speaks silently in her poems, and the fires rise when she speaks of the noble Lord. I am the link between the heavens and earth. Jacqueline reminds the world that women are the connection of creations ordained by God.

Jacqueline Amos is documented in the Museum of Modern Art, 1995, Brooklyn Museum, 1996, and many other archives.

Her favorite quote: "I shall rise alone, if I must, but I shall bring some of my people home. I am the sheep that walks towards the light in this world order. I as woman and all women, must come together as one, the blessing of the almighty; who breathes upon our trust. It is not the woman who stands before the mountain, but women who walk with righteousness and dignity."

Jacqueline is a true soldier in God's army.

In this speech, Jacqueline states, "I am not a slave, I shall never be labelled as a slave. God said I was woman, men say I am the daughter of a slave, Harriet Tubman, Soldier Truth, many sisters who carried the cross. God said I was a warrior, never a slave."

In Jacqueline’s books she speaks of family and strength. She teaches her brothers and sista's that they are a gift from God, to stand tall and to never walk in no man's shadow. The good slave is a dead slave, one who has freed himself from man's destructions. God is the master, and the devil is the one who has lost his key.

Knowledge is one of the primary influences in Jacqueline's writing, as are wisdom and spirituality, and the bylaws of God. The rainbow reflects the cries of the dead roots which continue to die slowly, helpless when the waters sit upon the door, roots that refuse to save themselves.

Jacqueline, artist, poet, as well author, refused to differentiate between her personal experience and the common experience of black America. She wants to tell the stories of her people in ways that reflect their actual culture, including both their suffering, their love and language itself.

The world calls the blues that she sing "the weary of pain."
"Lord I got one time on my hand, let my people go, the pain that is reflected through the dialogues called roots." As she states, "I am just a tool, the voices cry beyond the grave." Her life and works are influenced by the struggles of a system that allows truth to come through the back door. Her favorite line, "I shall go down."

"If I must, but I know the light of God is not too far," her personal experience in black America, her words I shall tell the story of my people; in order to be paid, one must labor.

I shall no longer cry the song of a slave, there is only one master, God holds the key, including suffering, and the love of art and music.

Jacqueline Amos has taught for 25 years in Early Childhood Education. She is the owner of the Noumi Arts Black Collections, International Worldwide Director of Missions, and works with the international Faith of Restoration. She has lectured at Medgar Evers College, at public schools, and universities. Jacqueline Amos has spent her life giving, whether it is her services to programs for children or donating her art to the children of the Village of the Assin Kruwa Ghana to be auctioned for a schoolhouse.

Jacqueline Amos has always committed her life to the good will of human life. She states, "Let the windows open and the love will be shouted, from the rooftop, where men and women reside. In the name of God feel the spirits as the blessings of the highest gives me a message to deliver. Let unity be the key to the mouths of all men. I am the tool and take no glory in whatever I do. The blessings that touch my hands come through the highest king. Let the spirit fill your heart. I write the words of wisdom and love. The words of the prophets, I hope they will touch your heart. I hope the contents of my words open the doors. Man is nothing without God. I hope to bring beauty and truth. Every spoken word of the truth will open the doors to wisdom, knowledge and understanding."

Jacqueline honored Queen Mother Moore who is 101 years old, and who walked among many civil rights leaders such as Marcus Garvey, Martin Luther King, Jr., and many others for the cause of justice. Jacqueline awarded her with a painting on her 100th birthday, "In My Mother's House." Jacqueline Amos also honored Queen Winnie Mandela with one of her own paintings, "In my Father's House." Many collectors including doctors, lawyers, judges, banks, churches, hospitals, actors, and historical archives hold Jacqueline Amos paintings and her works of poetry. Jacqueline has 11 books.

Accomplishments: Alumni Association, Humanitarian Services Award/Recognition Filipino and American People, Museum of Modern Art, Brooklyn Museum, John F. Kennedy Performing Art/International Worldwide Artist, Bedford Stuyvesant Restoration Arts and Culture, Harlem State Building Arts and Culture, Brooklyn Council for the Arts, American Arts for famous Artists, International Worldwide Directory of Artists, Schaumburg Library of Black Studies, Proclamation Borough. President, Olympic Visions of Harlem, Medgar Evers College Archive Collections, Plaque Rhythm and Blues Singer, Silvestre Worldwide Registry, International Library of Poetry, Black Poets Society, Black Writers Organization, One Million Women’s Movement, Independent Living Gallery, 18 one-woman shows, Outstanding Award in Teaching/Medgar Evers College, Black Enterprise, Press, Bcat, Biography of Jacqueline Amos, Medgar Evers College Radio, Roundtable Radio.