Sir John Alexander Macdonald

by Jason from Alberta

10071George Lancefield [1] [Public domain]

In my opinion, government is very important. Without it, the task of keeping a country in order is almost impossible. This is why I chose Sir John Alexander MacDonald as my Canadian hero. He was the first prime minister of Canada. He did lots of amazing things. He expanded Canada by building the Canadian Pacific railway, and created the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (R.C.M.P.). Because of him Canada is now a wonderful country to live in.

My hero was born a baby, just like every other human. John A. Macdonald was born in Glasgow, Scotland on January 11, 1815. His parents met in Scotland in 1811. Unfortunately, John's father, Hugh Macdonald was a failing merchant. This is when the family decided to move to Canada for the chance of a better life. John was only five years of age at the time. When they arrived in Canada he was sent to the finest schools, but only until the age of fifteen. However, he kept reading on his own. John A. Macdonald had an average life growing up, but it got more interesting later on.

John started work when he was fifteen, in a law office in Kingston. When he was twenty one, he became a lawyer. He then became interested in politics. John was elected to the legislature of the province of Canada. John lost the next election, so he decided to leave the Conservatives. He helped with the founding of the liberal-conservative party in 1854. The party then came to power. Macdonald was appointed Attorney General. In the next election, he became the joint premier of the province of Canada. Macdonald later became the first prime minister of Canada. His goal as prime minister was to enlarge the country and unify it. In 1873, John A. Macdonald created the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (R.C.M.P.). He then started work on the Canadian Pacific railway which expanded Canada. He was prime minister from 1868 to 1873, and again from 1878 to 1891.

In 1891, John A. Macdonald won the elections again, but by this time he was a worn out 76-year old man and he could not do it. On May 29, 1891, John A. Macdonald suffered an unexpected stroke, which robbed him of the ability to speak. He would never recover. A week later, on June 6, 1891, Sir John Alexander Macdonald passed away.

John A. Macdonald in my opinion was a very good man. He expanded Canada and unified it. If he had not, I wouldn't be living in Alberta today. Alberta is a wonderful province. John was the first prime minister of Canada, and he held that office for nineteen years. He is now depicted on the Canadian ten dollar bill.