Valerie Jane Morris-Goodall

by Gyu Ri & Ji Seul from Chonburi

"Change happens by listening and then starting a dialogue with the people who are doing something you don''t believe is right"
She was hanging out with chimpanzees
She was hanging out with chimpanzees

Our hero, Jane Goodall, understood the Chimpanzee's mind and communicated easily than any other people. It's not easy to communicate and understand them, even if they are using the same languages. It means communicating with those who are not using the same language is harder. It was a hard time and took a long time for Jane Goodall to communicate with the Chimpanzees. When she was child, she really loved animals and showed lots of grit. We choose her because we had the same topic that interested us. Also, we got inspiration from her grit and zest.

Jane Goodall childhood
Jane Goodall childhood

To most people, 3. April 1934 is a normal day but for us that day is little bit special. That special day's biggest event was that our hero Jane Goodall was born in London. When she was one year old, her father gave her a present. It was the Chimpanzee doll and she really loved it. One day, she disappeared for hours. She came out from the henhouse and she was observing where the eggs came from. However, her mother understood, her dream was go to Africa and stay with the many animals. At that time that dream was very unique, even to girls. Her mother always encouraged her and cheered her up always.

Jane Goodall with chimpanzee
Jane Goodall with chimpanzee

After she graduated high school in 1952, she didn't have time to go to the college. So, she started to work instantly as a secretary. In May 1956, she got one letter that made her life different. It was from Clo Mange, friend who she met when she was young. That letter was about Clo Mange invited Jane Goodall to Kenya. She played a lot and she met many people. But, the most important thing that happened was she met Dr. Louis Leaky. Louis is the very famous anthropologist at that time. He saw Jane Goodall in Tanzania. (She went to Tanzania to do a fossil-hunting expedition.) And, he was touched by her passion and patience.

During reaserch in Africa
During reaserch in Africa

Louis wanted Jane Goodall to research about the wild Chimpanzees. Jane Goodall gladly accepted and she worked at the Gombo. She hung out near the chimpanzees, so she approached the chimpanzees little by little.The middle of the experiment time, she got malaria but she restarted researching right away after she got well. That way, we think she never gave up and always made an effort. Many things were changed and figured out a lot of new information. She wrote books about her research and she visited several places and gave the speech. We think she is real heroes because she continued her tasks in every situations.

Nowadays Jane Goodall
Nowadays Jane Goodall

Anyone could be a 'HERO". But, it's quite hard to be a hero. For us, heroes are not just the famous people. We think who has zest, grit and also who influences positive things to others. Jane Goodall has lots of grit and never gives up. She tried hard and did her work well, because of those reasons we chose Jane Goodall as our hero. We hope that everyone knows her in future.

youtube - Jane Goodall interview
face book - you can see her facebook

Theater, Andria. "biographical time line." [Online] Available http://www.janegoodall.ca/goodall-bio-timeline.php.