John Grisham

by James

John Grisham is a very popular American writer who influenced people worldwide. John did not have the most fortunate upbringing and had to battle to succeed in life. Coming from a family like his, it was his obligation to start working early in life. He began by doing a mixture of jobs, involving house maintenance. At the tender age of 17 he worked in an asphalt crew in Mississippi through a contact from his father. After a fight broke out amongst crew at his job he began to seriously consider going to college. He then took a job selling underwear at a department store while pursuing a college career. He was ashamed to be working at the store. He studied to become an ax lawyer but decided to return home and become a trail lawyer.

John practiced law and won a seat in the Mississippi state legislature. John watched a trial about a girl who was raped that made the observers cry. He was inspired to write his book based on this trial. His second book The Firm was the most popular book of 1991. John has worked as a producer for many movie adaptions from his books. His story of becoming successful is inspirational as he was a hard worker, and that was the root of his success.

In the beginning of John's law career; he worked 60-70 hour workweeks. Between working he watched court trials in Mississippi that inspired him to write. Before becoming a lawyer, he was determined to become a professional baseball player but he did not have the skill set. He practiced law after attending Ole Miss mostly injury and criminal defense law. He took on many cases of clients who got injured because of corporate greed. Any case he felt strongly about he would fight relentlessly for.

His first book A Time to Kill was not originally accepted my publishers but after pressing hard, they printed 5000 copies. Propelling it to become a very popular novel and also pushing him into the limelight. The success that followed might have overwhelmed him, but with is humble demeanor he managed to stay grounded. His humbleness and his ability are to be he is something to be admired. What I aspire to gain through him, is to be able to explain myself through literature. How to translate idea to tangible material is something he teaches through his novels.

He is really a hero not in the sense of the word to most. He does not wear a cape nor does he have special powers. That is why I think he is a hero. He accomplished goals; heroes are models who you can look up too. It is not just the novels of John that I admire. His morel mindset is something I admire too. He believes in justice, if he doesn't achieve that through flying but speaking that Is just as good. To resolve issues through peaceful means is more effective than fighting. His books have characters that have heroic characteristics. Heroes to me fight against injustices that to me John accomplished, and inspires.

The MY HERO Gallery - For the "John Grisham Poster" Gallery Page, also by James.

Grisham, John. "John Grisham Website." [Online] Available http://www.jgrisham.com/.