John Lennon

by Meghann from Yukon

A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.

John Lennon: the "Gandhi" of today's America or just another face in the Rock Hall of Fame? He stood up for peace and made the music that spread across the nation. Lennon is known for not only his leading role in the worldwide famous band The Beatles but, for his strength and intelligence. He traveled the world and met some of the most powerful leaders. He showed that American's peace was possible we just had to believe and dream all as a nation and not just as individuals and it would be reality. Lennon was talented at a very young age with his music and encouraged some childhood friends to form a band.

He loved his music more than his own life at times. He spoke his mind about political things and world affairs through his music. Most of the songs that he wrote for The Beatles or co-wrote were about the U.S and all the problems we were facing as a country throughout the span of his life. The way his music made people feel gave humans a new way to look at the music business and industry. He showed not only American's but people of all the world, from Europe to Canada, how music was supposed to be. The music he played with his life-long friends, like Paul McCartney, had a good outlook on the way people lived and just what life could be like if we had peace.

The strong heart Lennon had for America was enough to spread love across the nation. He said what was on his mind without a care of what anyone else's opinion was on the subject. His words spoke to everyone, no matter what the age. "If being an egomaniac means I believe in what I do and in my art or music, then in that respect you can call me that... I believe in what I do, and I'll say it" he said to the paparazzi when they nicknamed him the Egomaniac. His mental strength as a human put him in a great spot in the eyes of people all over the country. He knew what to say and how to say it with enough words to get his point across. "He'll forever be in our hearts" an unknown friend said when he passed 8 December 1980 in New York city.

"I'm not afraid of death because I don't believe in it. It's just getting out of one car, and into another," John stated. He was not afraid of what was to come yet, what had not come yet. When he sang one word or strummed one note it was not to entertain. It was to show people that there is more out there to life and if you don't start now you'll be dead the next time you blink. He encourages Americans to reach for something new. He achieved greatness in his life and left the legacy to others in the music business to pick up were he left off. When he left this world he left with only one thought lingering in his mind, I wonder which car is coming to pick me up. Lennon was not only admired because of his music but, because he had the open mindedness everyone wanted to have themselves.