Jared C. Monti

by Michael from San Diego

Jared C. Monti (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/dd/Jared_C._Monti_crop.jpg/180px-Jared_C._Monti_crop.jpg)

Imagine yourself as an adventurous child that had many accomplishments in his life. Imagine yourself enlisting in the Army as a young adult. Imagine having a dad as a school teacher and growing up in Massachusetts. Now replace yourself with a man named Jared C. Monti and you have a real modern day hero. Jared C. Monti was the son of Paul and Janet Monti. He had a sister named Nicole and a brother named Timothy. He was born in Abington, Massachusetts on September 20, 1975. He attended Bridgewater – Raynham Regional High School and graduated in 1994 at the age of 18. A hero must possess bravery, and selflessness. Bravery is the ability to confront fear, risk and danger, or intimidation. Selflessness is having little or no concern for oneself. Jared Monti possesses bravery and selflessness, therefore he is a hero. He served his country as a sergeant First Class in the Army. He earned more than 30 awards, some of which include the Bronze Star, Purple Heart, and the Congressional Medal of Honor.

The Medal of Honor that was awarded to Jared Mont (http://www.bookofodds.com/var/site/storage/images/media/images/a0291-medal-of-honor/13844120-1-eng-US/A0291-Medal-of-Honor_leader.jpg)

Bravery is one of Jared Monti’s many heroic characteristics. He demonstrated it throughout his early childhood and teenager years. As a four-year-old child, Jared jumped his backyard fence. He was later found climbing a two-story high tree at his neighborhood park. To accomplish this at such a young age showed that he had courage, bravery, and was afraid of nothing. This set him up for many accomplishments in his life, like becoming a bodybuilder, New England champion in wrestling, and getting awarded our nation’s highest military award, the Medal of Honor. In 1993, Monti enlisted in the National Guard as a high school junior, which would be the start of his military service. By the time he was 30, he was a Sergeant First Class and was starting his second rotation into Afghanistan. Little did he know that it would be his last. During a routine night patrol in Nuristan Province, Afghanistan, Monti’s squad was attacked by a group of insurgents. One of his men was injured and, while trying to rescue him, Jared was killed. Jared Monti’s sacrifice was that of great bravery. 3,447 other men before Monti showed the same bravery as he is the 3, 448th recipient of the Medal of Honor.

Jared Monti and his friends at their base in Afgh (search.ahp.us.army.mil)

Monti displays another heroic characteristic. Selflessness filled his veins the day he died. On June 21, 2006 SFC Jared Monti was deployed with his unit when they were attacked by a group of enemy insurgents. Monti showed selflessness by directing soldiers to take cover behind boulders, trees, and other objects. He did this while in the direct line of enemy fire until all of the other soldiers had taken cover and were returning fire before finding himself some cover from enemy bullets and rocket propelled grenades (RPG) whizzing through the air. He sacrificed his own personal safety to ensure that the other soldiers were safe. But that wasn’t the only thing that happened that night. Jared Monti did the most selfless thing that anyone can do. He risked his own life, dodging bullets and grenades to try and save a fellow soldier. The soldier was SPC Brian Bradbury and he was lying wounded between Monti and the enemy. Monti made two attempts to reach Bradbury but was forced back by heavy enemy fire. On the third try he advanced to within three feet of him, but Monti was struck by an RPG and died a few moments later. Jared Monti is a true demonstrator of selflessness. He was willing to sacrifice his life, and he did, to save a fellow soldier and friend.

Jared Monti's grave site (flickr.com)
Jared Monti's grave site (flickr.com)

Jared C. Monti possesses some of the characteristics of a hero which include selflessness and bravery. He is decorated with many awards from the Army. He was willing to sacrifice his life in order to save someone else. When seeing that someone needed help, he answered the call. He can inspire us in many ways. Jared was a champion in wrestling, he graduated from high school, he served our country, and was awarded the Medal of Honor. Jared Monti is a true hero and should be recognized as one. We should all strive to be brave and selfless just like he was.

Works Consulted

http://en.wikipedia.org /wiki/Jared_C._Monti

"Obama awards posthumous Medal of Honor." UPI Energy Resources 17 Sept. 2009. Global Issues In Context. Web. 30 Mar. 2011

"On honoring Sgt. Monti." Boston Herald 18 Sept. 2009: 18. Student Resource Center - Gold. Web. 30 Mar. 2011.

"SFC Jared C. Monti--a redleg hero." Fires (2009): 3. Academic OneFile. Web. 30 Mar. 2011

"SGT. 1st class Jared C. Monti: Sgt. 1st Class Jared C. Monti received the Medal of Honor posthumously during a White House ceremony, Sept. 17, 2009." Soldiers Magazine 65.3 (2010): 8. Academic OneFile. Web. 31 Mar. 2011

Zeleny, Jeff. "Medal of Honor Is Given To Hero of Afghan Battle." New York Times 18 Sept. 2009: A21(L). Global Issues In Context. Web. 30 Mar. 2011

Jared Monti Memorial - Memorial scholarship foundation to support Jared C. Monti.
Iraq War Heroes - Fallen Heroes Memorial to honor all that have died in Iraq/Afghanistan
SFC Jared Monti - Medal of Honor recipients