Jay Moriarity

by Carter from San Diego

(http://solspot.com/ ())
(http://solspot.com/ ())

Jay Moriarity was most well known for being one of the youngest people to surf  the monstrous 20-25 feet tall maverick waves and taking an insane fall from the top. Sadly many  people never saw who Jay Moriarity was, only what he did. Jay Moriarity was born on June 16, 1978 in Georgia, and moved to Santa Cruz, California soon after he was born. Jay never really had his father in his life; Frosty Hesson, well known surfer in the Santa Cruz area,  took that father figure position for Jay, and taught him about the world of surfing. At age sixteen, Jay paddled into 25 foot sets at Mavericks and became one of the youngest surfers to ever surf waves of that size. After Mavericks, Jays surfing career took off and he became a world class surfer. About 6 years after Jay surfed Mavericks, he died free-diving in Maldives a day before his birthday on June 15, 2001. Jay was courageous; he was determined to succeed and excel at everything he did. He believed in being compassionate and kind hearted to those around him; he held immense respect for life and people.

Jays courage was evidently shown throughout everything he did in his life. Close friend Emily Bates talked about how she saw Jay.  "Jay Moriarity was an athlete with a contagious spirit and fearless demeanor who encompassed the meaning of both slightly insane big wave enthusiast"(Emily Bates) Jay showed that he was courageous and could do whatever he put his mind to. Jay Moriarity also showed the world his courage by paddling out to surf the infamous Mavericks and taking a terrifying fall from the top of a 25 foot wave, Jays determined spirit and no quit attitude allowed him to paddle right back into the monstrous waves. One of his closest  friends Flea Virostko, was surfing the  Mavericks at the same time and saw Jay take the drop into that Monstrous 25 foot  wave. "There's no way anyone could make that drop.' But he had it in his mind that he was going to make the drop and get one on the bowl." (Flea Virostko)  Jay had the courage to take that wave even though the drop was insane. He showed that he was fearless and wanted that wave. Jay's spirit and courage was evident throughout his life.

Jay needed more than courage just to get through what he did in life. His determination was key to all his success in surfing and life itself. Jay Moriarity's childhood friend Peter Mel talked about Jay's determination through the time of their friendship. "Jay was friendly and determined-exactly like everyone says he was. All those things that every man should have, he had from an early age. I definitely learned from him."(Peter Mel) Jay had his determination from an early age and showed it in everything he did. Flea Virostko expressed his thoughts  on Jay's determination through his time knowing him. "Back then we were all living pretty hard. Jay showed up at Mavericks at 16 and he had a plan. It was cool to see someone so focused. We were charging and he was charging too, he was just more technical about it."(Flea Virostko) Without Jay's determination, he wouldn't have had the success he acquired throughout his life.

(http://jaymoriarityfoundation.org/ ())
(http://jaymoriarityfoundation.org/ ())

Jay wasn't just a hardworking courageous person. He was one of the most caring people you would have ever met. Jays wife Kim Moriarity commentated about Jay's kindness towards people. "People will forget what you say and do, but they will never forget how you made them feel. Jay touched so many people and he tried to leave everywhere he went just a little bit better. When people were around him, they felt the love and sincerity. Jay used to love to look for the gnarliest looking person he could find, make eye contact with them and smile. He came from a place of love in his heart and would use it to break down barriers with other people. 'Live Like Jay' doesn't mean you have to be a tough, big-wave surfer. Jay knew that,  for even him, that would eventually end. It means find out what you're here for and follow it. Be true to yourself and treat others well."(Kim Moriarity)  Jay shows how he is caring and kind through just not  his voice, but his actions towards people around him. Jay's friend Evan Slater descants on Jay being caring and his kindness. "Jay always took the high road. It's so easy to hang onto negatives, but he just made you want to be better. He was always looking for the good in people. After he died, I got one of the small round pins that said 'Always Remember Jay Moriarity.' I've kept it above me on the visor in whatever car I've had for 10 years. It's a daily reminder." (Evan Slater) Jay wanted only to look for the positives in people and tried his hardest to make the world a more loving place.

Jay Moriarity showed he was courageous, determined, and caring throughout his whole life. He showed he was courageous and determined throughout his surfing career, and showed the world his compassion towards people. The coolest attribute about all of what Jay Moriarity did in his life was, he just was being himself. He didn't do it for the fame or trying to make sure he looked good on camera. He did it because that just was him. That's why Jay Moriarity is one of the biggest inspirations in my life.

Works Consulted Aguirre, Abby, and Thomas Campbell. "Riders on the storm." New York Times 4 Mar. 2012: 94(L).Biography in Context. Web. 1 May 2015. Bates, Emily. "Jay Moriarity: The Story Behind the Legend in "Chasing Mavericks" - The Surf Channel." Jay Moriarity The Story Behind the Legend in Chasing Mavericks Comments. Surf Channel, n.d. Web. 04 May 2015. Borte, Jason. "Surfing A to Z." Jay Moriarity Biography and Photos. Surfline, n.d. Web. 04 May 2015. "Jay Moriarity Foundation | Live Like Jay!" Jay Moriarity Foundation | Live Like Jay! Jay Moriarity Foundation, 2002. Web. 07 May 2015. "Live Like Jay." SURFER Magazine. Surfer, 23 June 2011. Web. 07 May 2015. Martin, Andy. "Jay Moriarity." The Independent Obituaries RSS. The Independent, June-July 2001. Web. 04 May 2015. Trefz, Patrick. "Moriarity, Jay." Encyclopedia Of Surfing. Encyclopedia of Surfing, 2012. Web. 07 May 2015.