Jesse Owens

by Isaiah from San Diego

"The battles that count aren't the ones for gold medals. The struggles within yourself the invisible, inevitable battles inside all of us that's where it's at". Jesse Owens attitude towards life has helped him become a successful man not only on the track field but put as well.  His drive for success and eagerness to prove doubters wrong, Led him to be a role model and pave the way for African-American athletes throughout history. 

Even though he wasn't appreciated during his time because of his skin color he still strived to be the best and to prove that he can do it. In the 1936 Olympics Jesse Owens accomplished an amazing feat breaking three records and winning four Olympic gold medals. He was inducted into the US Olympic committee hall of fame, and he received the presidential Medal of Freedom.  Jesse Owens also did charity work and helped out in other countries. He traveled to India, Philippines, and Malaysia to lead running clinics, but also to promote the economic and politic freedom of the US. 

Jesse Owens drive for success and eagerness to prove doubters all across the world wrong led him to be a model athlete for African Americans and helped pave the way for their success during that time. He didn't let racism get the best of him and ignored all the hate and negativity received. His attitude led him to win 4 gold medals and break 3 records stunning the crowd at the 1936 Olympic Games. 

He achieved many honors and awards for his doings and eventually went into the hall of fame for track I believe that his success in track and his attitude towards life and his leadership and role model skills make him a hero. 

"Jesse Owens Biography." Bio.com. A&E Networks Television, n.d. Web. 23 May 2013. .

"The Jesse Owens Foundation." The Jesse Owens Foundation. N.p., n.d. Web. 23 May 2013. .