Jesse Owens

by Allan from Pontivy

His first name is James Cleverland Owens. He was born on 12th September 1913 and he died on 31st March 1980. He was an American athlete, and he was considered as the best black runner of the 20th century. He has got world's record of 100m, 200m, 4x100m relay and in long jump. During his career he won's 4 gold medals in the Olympic games in Berlin in 1936. And he won 20 gold medals in championship.

This athlete embodies great values, for example : he was awarded the presidential medal of freedom. He also fought against racism in the 1936 Olympics games in Berlin. Hitler hoped that Berlin Olympics games in 1936, would show his racial superiority. Instead of that, Jesse Owens, was applauded by the Berlin's public, while it was an Afro-American athlete. Jesse Owens had a lot of quotation like "A lifetime of training for just ten seconds" or "One chance is all you need". Jesse Owens represents the fight against segregation.