Jesse Owens

by Carl from Columbus

Jesse Owens was a great athlete and person. He had great success in college and in the 1936 Olympics. He competed in several events and went through injures to still set records. He was one of the first in his family to go to college.

He had an average life but became something great. Jesse Owens grew up in harsh times in the country. On September 12, 1913; James Cleveland Owens was born to the parents of Henry and Emma Owens in Oakville, Alabama. When he was young he went by J.C. for James Cleveland. When he was nine years old he moved to Cleveland, Ohio with his family. When he was living there one of his teachers couldn't understand his accent and thought he said Jesse when he meant to say J.C and it just stuck with him. This proves great people can come from anywhere.

Jesse Owens dominated at sports throughout through college. In college he got another nickname of "buckeye bullet" since he was fast and went to Ohio State University. At the big ten championship he had a severe tailbone injury. Yet during the games he still tied the world record in the 100-meter dash and set records in long jump 200 meter dash and 200 meter low hurdles. Some of these records lasted for 25 years which is remarkable for the growing talent.

He faced a lot of racism there but still was a good person. In the 1936 Olympics which were held in Berlin, Germany. At this time, Nazis were in control led by Adolph Hitler. The games were supposed to show the Arian superiority to the world. He won his first gold in 100 meters; the second in long jump with two earlier fouled attempts; the third gold in 200 meters dash and finally the fourth one in 4*100 meter relay. He broke several records and the German people named a street after him. Even through all the hatred by the Nazis, Jesse Owens had a successful Olympics.

Jesse Owens is a great person. Even when treated wrong he is respectful to the person. "I wasn't invited to shake hands with Hitler, but I wasn't invited to the White House to shake hands with the President, either." He was also a great athlete, he earned for Olympic gold medals. But he died of lung cancer from smoking a pack of cigarettes a day for most of his life. This is why James Cleveland Brown is one of the best ever people and athletes ever.