Jose Rizal the Inspiration

by John Paul from San Diego

Jose Rizal the national hero of the Philippines. (en.wikipedia.org)

“All men are born equal, naked, without bonds. God did not create man to be a slave; nor did he endow him with intelligence to have him hoodwinked, or adorn him with reason to have him deceived by others.” -(Letter to the Young Women of Malolos). This quote describes one of Jose Rizal’s books. José Mercado y Alonso Rizal was born on June 19, 1861, in Calamba, the Philippines. (Jose Rizal). While living in Europe, Rizal gained worldwide attention with two novels. Noli Me Tangere (Latin for Touch Me Not) was published in Berlin in 1886. Rizal's second book, El Filibusterismo (The Subversive), was published in Belgium in 1891. Both novels exposed the ills of the Spanish colonial government and Filipino society. (Rizal). In 1887, Rizal returned to the Philippines but quickly returned to Europe because he believed his prolonged presence would serve only to endanger his family and relatives. (Rizal). In 1896, the Katipunan, a secret Filipino revolutionary society, tried to overthrow the Spanish government. Rizal was on his way back to Manila when the revolution broke out. (Rizal). At that time the Philippines was controlled by Spain. Jose Rizal expresses his ideas through words to people to stand up for their country. He believed that everyone should be free. Jose Rizal started the movement to free his country, the Philippines, from the clutches of Spain. Rizal’s admirable qualities of intelligence, courageousness, and determination helped him risk everything to save his country.

Jose Rizal an intelligent man who wrote novels to express his ideas about the government and wrote the newspaper so people can be aware. As Jose was in France: “He continued his graduate studies in Paris and Heidelberg and in 1886 published his novel Noli Me Tangere (Touch Me Not), which reflected the suffering that his fellow citizens had had to endure under the years of Spanish domination. His book was banned in the Philippines.” (http://find.galegroup.com). Jose is showing to people how a country is being doleful. Jose used his book as a background to the real thing a country faces harsh rule and have limited rights and serve the country Spain and to show it to as many people as possible. As Jose Rizal was in Barcelona, Spain: “He went on to become a leading spokesman for the Philippine reform movement, writing articles for the Filipino propaganda newspaper La Solidaridad in Barcelona.” (http://find.galegroup.com). Jose is showing how he wanted to write the newspaper. Jose’s knowledge from what’s happening to the Philippines and uses his novels to show to people the struggles with Spain. Jose’s perseverance to write in the newspaper will open up to people that the Filipinos should be free and equal like Spain. Jose Rizal the intelligent man who expresses his ideas in books and to newspapers to show that the Philippines should get their freedom.

Jose Rizal was a determined man that founded the Philippine League to get a group who wanted peace for the country. As Jose returns to the Philippines from Europe: “He returned to Manila in 1892 and created the Liga Filipina, a political group that called for peace change for the islands.” (www.loc.gov). Jose is showing how he wanted a political group in the Philippines. Jose’s perseverance to make a Filipino political group will get their free rights in politics and freedom itself. Jose tries hard to get many people to join this league to get their own government. As Jose was in the Philippines he organized the League: “The League was a partly secret association made up mainly of professionals devoted to modernizing the colony.” (www.worldbookonline.com). Jose wanted a league group of people to fight for liberty. Jose tries hard with passion to reach out to people who feel the same way about it and to let it inspire them to freedom. Jose wanted peace change in the Philippines and he wanted people believe to form this group and to have our own government system. Jose Rizal a determined man who wanted peace by creating this political group to fight and get their freedom back.

Jose Rizal once said "I have always loved my poor country and I am sure that I shall love her until death”… this is one influence that many people try to stand up against Spain, if someone is bigger than you and tries to hurt you, stand up and get him to leave yourself or anyone alone. Jose faced the country’s enslavement by Spain. Jose’s expressive ideas about the terror of the Spanish government in his novels and ask to gain the Philippine government. It inspires many people by Rizal’s books and words as he wanted freedom. Jose wrote two novels Noli Me Tangere and El Filibusterismo to show people how the Philippines were being bondaged by Spain. Jose made the Philippine League to get their first reform group and to get their freedom from Spain. Jose Rizal an inspiration to Philippine history for making the first reform group that is set up by the Philippines; his death brought out the people's strengths to fight back in the name of Jose. This affected many who lived in the Philippines. If we didn’t have our freedom who knows what would have happened. Remember the American Revolution when the Patriots (USA) wanted to be free from England, it’s just like it. The Philippines are the Patriots and Spain as England. Jose is the leader who started and inspired people to fight back to be free and equal as a country. Jose Rizal is a true hero. He showed qualities of intelligence, courageousness, and determination to fight for all men born equal and to rise up against obstacles that will come for you.

Jose Rizal's memorial statue. (sma82.blogspot.com)

Works Consulted

Bonoan, Raul J. "Jose Rizal, liberator of the Philippines." America 7 Dec. 1996: 18 +, America Press, Inc: Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 17 Dec. 2010.. Print.

Del Rosario , MM. "Quotes From Dr Jose Rizal82." Hubpages Inc. and respective owners (2011): n. pag. Web. 11 Jan 2011.

Loomis, Craig. Encyclopedia of Modern Asia. Ed. David Levinson and Karen Christensen. Vol. 5. New York: Charles Scribner, 2002. 91-93. Print. Putzel, James. "Rizal, José." World Book Advanced. World Book. 17 Dec. 2010. Print.

Rizal, Jose." http://www.loc.gov/rr/hispanic/1898/rizal.html. N.p., July 15,2010. Web. 17 Dec 2010.

Hubpages - Hubpages gets the info and comments.
Jose Rizal Website