J.K. Rowling

by Macy from San Diego

Harry Potter (http://www.yugatech.com/ringtones/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/harry-potter-downloads.jpg)

Looking at this photograph, people automatically recognize the famous character, but they do not always think about the woman behind it all. J.K. Rowling, a big time British author wrote seven books which are being made into films and are known world wide. Rowling had a hard life, but never gave up. She followed her passion for writing and got unexpectedly far. J.K. Rowling is a deserving hero, not only because she is a hugely successful author, but because she is also a hardworking single mother who came from almost nothing.

J.K. Rowling as a child (http://a.abcnews.com/images/Entertainment/ht_jk_rowling_090715_mn.jpg)

In around 1966 near Bristol, England, Joanne K. Rowling was born. She was born into a loving British home with her younger sister Di who became her best friend. Moving all around England as a kid, she eventually landed at Exeter University studying French. She then took her longest job as a secretary, and when the boss wasn’t around she loved to sit in her quiet cubical and write. But when her mother died, she went away to Portugal where she got married, divorced, and had her daughter Jessica. Rowling had an unconditional love for writing all of her life since she was six. It was on the train back to England when the idea of Harry Potter came upon her. She is now a multimillionaire best selling author with seven Harry Potter books, a couple movies, and much more.

Millions admire J.K. Rowling because she is the creator behind the magical world of Harry Potter. Her first book, the beginning of Harry’s story, started it all. “J. K. Rowling is a British author of novels for young people who caused an overnight sensation with her first book, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, which sold out of its first edition quickly and has been reprinted many times”(“Biographical Essay”). Rowling had no idea that her little wizard story she thought up in her head would soon be one of the most famous books in the world, and for this she was very gracious and humble. People everyday, everywhere recognize Rowling’s creativity. “In one sense," Gray wrote, "the boy wizard has slipped beyond her control; he is out there, everywhere, and legions of people feel a sense of ownership. But in the most important way, Harry still belongs to her.”(“Top 100 Authors”). Her brilliant imagination was the source for this captivating story which is now a major book, film, and brand for the whole world to enjoy. She brings happiness to her readers. J.K Rowling is a heroic woman and people look up to her because she created Harry Potter and his future is in her hands.

Although many people see Rowling as a soft spoken author, she actually has a backbone and stands up for her work. When J.K. Rowling was charged with plagiarism and accused of stolen themes from another author, she said, “The claims that are made are not only unfounded but absurd and I am disappointed that I, and my U.K. publisher Bloomsbury, are put in a position to have to defend ourselves.”(“Rowling Denies”). She had worked her entire life for her success and she was not about to let a crazy claim take that away from her. Rowling said in a statement she is, “saddened that yet another claim has been made that I have taken material from another source to write Harry"(Rowling Denies”). Where most people would have resorted to anger, the way Rowling handled herself in this sticky situation was polite, yet she made sure people clearly knew her point of view. J.K. Rowling was determined to stand up for herself for the sake of her fans, for Harry, and for the millions who look up to her work.

Rowling holding one of her novels (http://zalinaalvi.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/jk-rowling-harry-potter-deathly-hollows-idea-girl-consulting-word-press.jpg)

This woman is an inspiration because she shows people that if you follow your dreams they can come true. With hard work and perseverance, anything can happen. “J. K. Rowling is a publishing phenomenon, a one-woman industry and the second richest woman in the United Kingdom after the queen. Not bad for a single mom who was once on welfare.” Her story is shows that no matter where or what you come from, even at your lowest, things can always turn out your way if you are determined. J.K. Rowling states on her website, “The worst thing that happened during my teenage years was my mother becoming ill. She was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis, which is a disease of the central nervous system, when I was fifteen. Although most people with multiple sclerosis experience periods of remission - when their illness stops progressing for a while, or even improves - Mum was unlucky; from the time of her diagnosis onwards she seemed to become slowly but steadily worse. I think most people believe, deep down, that their mothers are indestructible; it was a terrible shock to hear that she had an incurable illness, but even then, I did not fully realize what the diagnosis might mean”(“Rowling Official Site”). J.K. Rowling’s mother died on December 30th 1990. Most people would let a tragedy like that get them down and hinder their desire to live out their dreams. Instead Rowling used it as motivation to do something great with her life and make her mother proud. “In her interview with Feldman, Rowling commented that she had no idea what sort of reception the book would get, if she was even able to get it published.” “I knew how difficult it would be just to get a book published. I was a completely unknown writer. I certainly could never have expected what's happened. It's been a real shock"(“Top 100 Authors”) When Rowling was sitting in coffee shops with her daughter, righting ideas on napkins, she had no idea what would come of her book, or if anything would come of it at all. But she never doubted her talent and kept on working her hardest. This makes her an inspiration. Joanne K. Rowling is absolutely a hero because she overcame countless obstacles and fulfilled her dream to create the fantasy world of Harry Potter.

none, none. "J.K. Rowling Official Site." [Online] Available http://www.jkrowling.com/textonly/en/biography.cfm.

none, none. "Joanne K. Rowling. "Gale

none, none. "Rowling Denies Plagarism Claim. "Gale, 2010.

none, none. "Rowling, J.K.. "Gale, 2003.