Jim Varney aka Ernest P Worrell

by Nathaniel from Shippensburg

Jim Varney (jimvarney.org)
Jim Varney (jimvarney.org)

Jim Varney, better known as Ernest P. Worrell, may not seem like a hero to many people. Even though he died in 2000, I feel he would be considered a hero even today. He has many characteristics that are heroic. He was a really skilled entertainer, a great comedy actor, and reportedly has a near genius IQ.

Jim Varney always loved the theater as a teenager. In high school, he won state titles in drama in 1968. When Jim was 15, he attended Murray State College, where he played the role of Ebenezer Scrooge. At the age of 17, he was playing in nightclubs and coffee houses. Jim's first real role was in an advertisement for a museum. His first movie role was in 1989, where he played a Sheriff in the movie "Spittin' Image." Some of his movies he played more than one role. In 1989, Jim won an Emmy award for his outstanding acting.

Ernest P Worrell (jimvarney.org)
Ernest P Worrell (jimvarney.org)

When people think of Ernest, they usually think of a dumb but funny guy. People wouldn't know that the real person behind the character Ernest is actually smart. Jim Varney has a very high I.Q., almost genius. This is probably why he is such a great actor. I read somewhere that his I.Q. was over 200.

Most of Jim Varney's movies were comedies. Ernest P. Worrell was probably Jim Varney's funniest character. He played in a total of 32 movies, in half of them he plays as Ernest P. Worrell. Ernest's most famous catch phrase is "KnoWhutIMean?" which he used a lot. His first national standup appearances were on The Merv Griffin Show and The Tonight Show at the age of 25.

Jim Varney was diagnosed with lung cancer, later in his life. When he found out, he quit smoking cold turkey. However, it was too late. In 2000 he died of lung cancer. He will be remembered as a great actor, and one who cared about people. He even helped out in the Make-A-Wish foundation, visiting several hundred kids as Ernest.

Sources, wikipedia. "Jim Varney." [Online] Available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Varney.

Sources, IMDB. "Jim Varney." [Online] Available http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001815/bio.