Health

Dr. Jim Withers

by Bryden from Cincinnati

What if you were homeless and didn't have any money? What would happen if you got sick? You would need a doctor right? I know the doctor for you. His name is Dr. Jim Withers. Jim is inspired to do his job because of his amazing family. He feels guilty toward the homeless he saw on the streets because of how fortunate he is. Jim Withers goes out every night looking for people that need help medically (physically) and giving those people a hand up. Jim Withers is a hero because he shows personal bravery. He makes a positive relationship with the people of Pittsburgh in general. He also shows steadfast bravery because he is constantly helping the community of Pittsburgh.

Jim is inspired to do his job because of his amazing family. Once, when Jim was a child, he and his dad went to go to do a house call in the middle of a blizzard. They got stuck in the snow on the road and had to get a lift from a snow bulldozer. His dad still made that house call and that dedication inspired him. As a teenager Jim continued to be fascinated with his dad's work. Jim and his family traveled to Guatemala to do medical missionary work. "Being so close to my dad's work, there, I knew I wanted to be a doctor too!"("A Man of Mercy")

Jim feels guilty toward the homeless he saw on the streets because of how fortunate he is. He feels responsible for the homeless without healthcare because he just wants to do his good part for Pittsburgh and wants to go above and beyond and to take care of the well-being of Pittsburgh. He shows that you should appreciate what you have because others aren't as fortunate as you are. He bonds with these people and wishes people to do a simple thing to get to know someone before you judge them.

Dr. Jim Withers (http://www.guidetogoodhealth.com/Articles/SeniorCa ())

Jim Withers goes out every night looking like a homeless person himself to make his services seem like a kindness. He wants this to be a boost in their confidence by just doing a random kindness for these people. Jim gives the community of Pittsburgh a helping hand to the homeless. "Jim Withers started Project Safety Net and it still goes on today." ("CNN Heroes") Project Safety Net is a project where the homeless get to have healthcare. Jim Withers shows pride for Pittsburgh by making it a better place to live!

Jim Withers is a hero because he shows personal bravery. When he shows personal bravery he makes a positive relationship with the people of Pittsburgh in general. He has a dream to have "Wherever you are you have healthcare" ("CNN Heroes") He shows me what it means to be a true citizen and to give to the people who need it the most. Jim also embodies steadfast bravery because he dresses up as a homeless man and helps multiple people per night. He gives these people hope and awareness, he gives so much to the community of Pittsburgh, and these are the main reasons why he is one of my biggest heroes

In conclusion Jim Withers is a hero to me because he shows me to be determined and dedicated to what I love to my heart. He has helped over 10,000 people in need and 1,200 people off the streets! My most valued quote from him is, "Once you know they're there, it haunts you." ("CNN Heroes") I believe in this statement because once you think about it, you hopefully feel a kindness inside of you waiting to help make change for the better. He gives so much hope to the people who need it, he gives them all what they could never afford, a simple checkup!