Jerry Rice

by Keyanis from San Diego

“I felt like I came in and gave it my best shot and I still wanted to play… It didn’t happen… I am still going to hold my head high and stay positive”
Jerry Rice (Google)
Jerry Rice (Google)

Humble and caring; those are characteristics of a true hero. It takes a humble character throughout their journey of ups and downs and still has the energy to care. Jerry Rice’s acts of humility and caring show his worthy spot as a hero. Jerry Rice is the all-time hall of famer for the San Francisco 49ers, but before he made it to the NFL he went to this small college in Mississippi called Mississippi Valley state. Jerry Rice was born October 13, 1962, Crawford Mississippi. A Hero to me has to be humble and caring. To me a person that is humble is someone who never takes anything for granted, works hard and sets a goal in their life to become better. Someone who is caring to me would be someone who has feelings and exhibiting concern and empathy for others around them. Jerry Rice possesses Caring and humility, therefore he is a true hero to me. Jerry Rice’s Caring and Humbleness comes from his father who was a bricklayer and from that it taught him the meaning of hard work and the attitude that controlled his effort throughout his life.

NFL Hall of Famer Jerry Rice is my favorite receiver because of his humble roots. Jerry Rice is the all time leader in the NFL with a total of 208 touchdown and 1,848 yards. Jerry Rice has also had 13 pro bowl appearances in his 20 seasons in the NFL. “I pretty much approach every season never thinking about what I accomplished the year before.” (Jerry Rice) This shows that Jerry Rice doesn’t go for the easy way out and goes the extra step for what he works for. This also shows that instead of not doing anything he is working twice as hard as ever playing the receiver position. Another example of why Jerry Rice is humble to me is because he is a very positive character and gives 100% effort into what he loves. “I felt like I came in and gave it my best shot and I still wanted to play… It didn’t happen… I am still going to hold my head high and stay positive” (Jerry Rice). Jerry Rice shows great humbleness because even when he falls down and gets hurt he climbs right back up. This shows that he is a good influence to his fans because his outstanding strength to never give up. Jerry Rice shows his humble character throughout the world which shows his awesome character.

Jerry Rice (google)
Jerry Rice (google)

On the field as well as off the field Jerry Rice is very caring and has a toy drive for under aged kids every year. Close to five hundred children, teenagers, and adults joined football legend Jerry Rice in his toy drives for kids. “People today are always on their cell phones, so I thought why not react to my friends this way… I will establish closer relationships with my fans using these mobile services” (Jerry Rice). This shows that Jerry Rice is caring because he wants to get closer to his fans by establishing a bond. This also shows how he is caring because he gives an effort to care for his fans and not just himself. Children from all over the bay area gather to join Jerry Rice on Saturday Dec. 11, for the 16th annual Jerry Rice winter festival. “Hall of famer is merry-gives back in holiday spirit”. Jerry Rice has just so much enthusiasm greeting fans with a warm friendly smile and a handshake. He contributes to all children in need over the bay area year after year and has a great time doing it. I believe that Jerry Rice is a great football player but not only that I think he is great for the community and how caring he is because of all the things he has done for it.

With his great effort and hardworking attitude built from the foundation of his father Jerry Rice has become a great inspiration that he is today. Jerry Rice is a true hero because of all the little deeds he does and all these little things can make a change in the world. Jerry Rice inspires me because I have always looked up to a person like him since I was a kid not just athletically but socially because of the way that he cares for not just himself but he helps other people as well and that’s why he inspires others. He got this way by never letting obstacles get in his way and setting a goal for himself. It takes a true hero to care for others and still be humble and in the end still turn out to be a remarkable hero.

Freeze frame." Multichannel News 32.3 (2011): 13. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 11 Apr. 2011 "Rice, Jerry (1962-)." UXL Biographies. Online ed. Detroit: UXL, 2003. Student Resource Center - Gold. Gale. DEL NORTE HIGH SCHOOL. 31 Mar. 2011 “Jerry Rice Class of 2010.” Pro Football Hall of Fame. 13 Apr. 2011. “Jerry Rice Biography.” TV Guide. 13 Apr. 2011.