Jackie Robinson

by Zachary from North Carolina

Jackie Robinson (www.biography.com/search/article.do?id=9460813&page=1)

Jackie was born in 1919 near Georgia. Jackie loved sports and games and was a star athlete in high school and college. He was very smart in school too. He played football on a professional team and then joined a Negro League baseball team named the Kansas City Monarchs. A man saw how good he played and asked him to play on his team. It was a team with only white people. He was the first black man to play on a team with white men in the modern era. Many people did not want him to play on this team. He did not listen to them and followed his dream. He could be anything he wanted.

Jackie and his family
Jackie and his family

Jackie Robinson was married to Rachel and they had three children. He died on October 24, 1972. He had problems with his heart and diabetes. This is why he died. After he died his wife started a scholarship for people to go to school. This was to remember his life and work.

Jackie was a student at UCLA
Jackie was a student at UCLA

My name is Zachary. I am in the third grade. I attend school in North Carolina. My teacher has been teaching us about heroes. We have been learning about what makes a hero. After learning about heroes, I have decided that Jackie Robinson is my hero. He enjoyed playing baseball. He did things even though people did not want him to. It must have been hard to be Jackie Robinson.