Judy Garland

by Kelsey from Ansonia

My hero is Judy Garland. I picked Judy Garland for my hero because she is my favorite actress and she is my role model. I wanted to learn more about her by doing this project and I did. I learned a lot from this project. I hope that you learn a thing or two from what I wrote.

<a href=http://www.legendsofamerica.com/photos-trivia/JudyGarland.jpg>Judy in The Wizard of Oz</a>
Judy in The Wizard of Oz

Judy Garland was born in Grand Rapids, Minnesota on June 16, 1922. Her birth name was Frances Ethel Gumm. Her parent’s names were Frank Gumm and Ethel Marian Milne. At first her parents did not want her to be born. When Judy was younger she had a lot of allergic reactions that would cause her to get up in the middle of the night. She got married 5 times and had three children and their names are Liza Minnelli, Lorna Luft, and Joey Luft. In the early 1900s doctors gave actors drugs and Judy soon got addicted. She passed away on June 22, 1969 in Chelsea, London, England. The cause of her death was an overdose of drugs.

Some contributions that Judy Garland made to society were that she entertained people in movies and in live entertainment. Also she brought belief to her audiences. To make these contributions she had to overcome some struggles in her life. Some of those struggles are that she had to overcome her allergic reactions. The other one is that she had to overcome her parents telling her to go play when her sisters were practicing singing.

Judy Garland displays three different characteristics of a hero. They are bravery, courage, fame. The characteristics of a hero that I admire that she displays are bravery and courage because she auditioned for things [that shows bravery], but she did not succeed in some. Even though she did not make some she never gave up [that shows courage]. I put fame in there because every hero that exists is famous in some way and that is how fame falls into the picture.

<a href=http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/oz/images/vc47.jpg>Judy in The Wizard of Oz</a>
Judy in The Wizard of Oz

Judy has made many different differences in my life. One of those differences is that she made me feel and know that I can succeed in everything. Another difference is that she made me believe that if I don’t succeed to not give up and to always try my best. The last difference that she made in my life is that she makes me believe that I can pretty much achieve in anything that I put my mind to. She made these differences in my life by trying her best when she was younger to always succeed in everything that she did and even though she did not make some things she never gave up. If I could say one thing to Judy Garland I would say that she is perfect and very talented. To me she is anyway. To me Judy Garland is a desirable hero to meet because she is my hero, my favorite actress, and she is my role model. I would love for her to give me advice and let me ask her a few questions. It would be a dream come true to meet Judy Garland. My views of Judy Garland have not yet changed.