Louis Braille

by Sagar from San Diego

(http://www.afb.org/LouisBrailleMuseum/braillemediaviewer.asp?FrameID=173#main ())

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."(Einstein) Albert Einstein's quote explains the time blind people experienced while having difficulty learning to read and write before Braille came along. He brought this new level and thus changing blind people's lives forever. His story is quite sad, but very stunning and beyond the imagination. Louis Braille was the youngest child of harness and saddle maker Simon-Rene Braille and Monique Braille (Morman).  Louis suffered an accident where he would become blind (Cannon). Braille was 10 when he received a scholarship to the Royal Institute of Paris (Cannon). At 15 years, Braille invented his genius code blind people could use (Cannon). Heroes, like Braille, must have very high intelligence, talented, and commitment to their life changing idea. Intelligence's definition is a person's mental capacity. The definition of commitment is bound to a certain goal. The definition of talented is having special abilities in a particular subject. Louis Braille is a hero who changed the world for all blind people using his talents, intelligence, and his commitment.

Braille was a man having many talents allowing him to reach out and help others reach their dreams. In school, Braille was described as, "an outstanding student and excelled in every subject. He especially enjoyed the music classes, and he became a fine pianist and an accomplished organist"(Meyer). Braille's talent in piano and organ won him a job in a small church as the organist. Not only did he know how to play, he played them very well. His many talents allowed him to reach out to others. This is not a common story for a blind person. At age 15, "he felt he had an adequate code, he shared it with Dr. Pignier, who had become his mentor."(AFB). Although a great teacher, Braille also was a well known inventor. His invention changed the lives for everyone who was blind. His code proves his ability to go from idea to reality. By the time he created his code, he already had a pamphlet on it and, "had taught it to many of his fellow students, who confirmed that it enabled them to communicate in writing as no other system could"(Morman). Braille was not just an inventor, but he also was a teacher. He understood his own system and was able to teach it to others. His many talents allowed him to help and improve the lives of others. The many talents of Braille allowed him to help others, therefore making him a hero.

Braille's heroic character includes his far beyond-average intelligence. His parents were actively involved as, "Louis' father taught him the alphabet by guiding his fingers over strips of wood into which upholstery nails had been pounded in the shapes of the letters. When Louis understood the letters, his father guided his hand and taught him to write. At about the same time Simon-Rene was teaching his son the alphabet, the Abbe Palluy, priest of St. Pierre Church in Coupvray, began instructing Louis about the ways of nature"(Meyer). He had an educational head start. He also understood the letters giving him an edge versus the other students. By understanding the alphabet early on, he gained an edge when it came to apply his knowledge to school. Abbe Palluy taught Braille the sounds of nature. This made him even more knowledgeable than his peers. This part of his life proves his intelligence, which he used later on. In his local school, Braille, "received instruction side by side with his sighted peers. He quickly showed himself to be one of the brightest pupils in the school"(AFB). Despite his disability, he still was very successful and high achieving alongside those without Braille's disability. His parents knew the value of education and wanted to provide Louis with all the opportunities they could give him. At the Royal Institute, Braille was learning, "Hauy's embossed letters and regularly won prizes as the best student in one or another subject."(Morman) Braille was able to understand the system unlike many of the other students. Braille was a faster learner. His awards shows he really understood what he was learning compared to his peers. He also valued his education and his ability to learn. Braille's intelligence allowed him to convert a raw idea into an amazing reality.

http://www.afb.org/LouisBrailleMuseum/braillemediaviewer.asp?FrameID=174#main ()

These traits only became stronger because of his commitment to his work. His school life might have been rough. Braille's school was in terrible shape, it is described as, "filthy and damp, Louis loved attending the Institute for Blind Youth"(AFB). Filthy means the room is dirty and full of germs. This is bad for the health of the students. Damp allows germs to grow, making it even filthier. Braille eventually caught tuberculosis in school. (AFB) Louis' love for the school shows his commitment to the school despite these horrible conditions. The commitment to his code was beyond the ordinary as he was, "working at it during his free time and at school and his summer vacations at home"(Morman). His commitment to improve Barbier's system resulted in a near-perfect system. At a time that was supposed to be enjoyed, Braille was still working to make the lives of blind people better. After seeing his peers' struggles with learning to read and write, he wanted to help and so he worked on this constantly. After his amazing code, "Louis continued to revise and perfect his raised dot alphabet. He removed the dashes that were in his original plan. (Although dashes are easy to read by touch, they are difficult to write with a stylus.)"(Meyer) Even after he invented his code, he still strived to improve it even more. The fact he tries to perfect it shows his commitment to his system and the perfection of it. Braille's most powerful trait took his intelligence and his talents to a new level beyond the minds of many to the where he became a genius of his time who would never give up.

Braille's talents, intelligence, and commitment allowed him to develop a life-changing code for the blind. His talent allowed him to help others learn and succeed. His intelligence allowed him to convert Barbier's potent idea into a simple and brilliant reality.  "He surprised the teacher by his ability and intelligence. In spite of his blindness, he soon was at the head of the class. He was an exceptionally bright little boy"(Meyer). Louis is an inspiration to me because he proves that disabilities cannot hold anyone back. I had once believed that disabilities could stop me from reaching my goals. Louis' story made me rethink my thoughts. Even though Braille was blind, he still was the smartest in the class. Even though I have disabilities, I am not restricted because of them. "His kind nature and native intelligence brought him friends among the students and recognition by the teachers and administrators."(Morman) Because of Braille's kindness and the introduction of Alexandre Pignier as director, "Upon the death of Braille's father in 1831, he promised that he would never abandon the blind young man"(Morman). Braille also inspires me to be kind. I thought of being like the others who were not as kind or thoughtful as I was. His story tells me not to be like those people. His kindness was so great that a director stated he would never abandon Louis. I would like that to have said to me by my friends.

"Dufau's aversion to Braille's code and his prohibition on its use at the Institute were countered by Joseph Guadet, his assistant, who supported the braille code. Guadet convinced Dufau to see the benefits of using Louis' code." (AFB) "During the dedication ceremony Guadet demonstrated Louis Braille's code. The day of the demonstration is often said to be the day Louis Braille's code, the braille code, was accepted by the world."(AFB) Louis also serves an inspiration to me because of his determination ultimately leading to the world's acceptance of his code. He tried repeatedly to have his code accepted by the world. Although he never got to see the world accept it, he believed it would happen. When I think of giving up, I think of him and how he never gave up. He proves that if you persevere, you can make it through anything. This is something that I live by and continues to be an important part of me. Braille's story is remarkable and sad. His story is sad because of his inability to see and not knowing the effects of his simple, ingenious code. It is also remarkable that he invented this code, taught it to others, became a teacher, played piano, and organ. His many talents, genius brain, and his commitment made him famous. This is not what he was looking for though. His kindness and commitment earned him respect everywhere across France and the rest of the world. The amazing story of the humble Louis Braille lives on and on due to the people succeeding, thanks to his extraordinary invention.

Works Consulted

AFB. "Celebrating the Bicentennial of Louis Braille's Birth - Introduction." Object  Moved. Web. 30 Apr. 2012. <http://www.afb.org/LouisBrailleMuseum/braillegallery.asp?GalleryID=44>.

Cannon, Byron D., and Cannon Byron D. "Louis Braille." Great Lives From History:  The Nineteenth Century (2007): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 9 May 2012.

Meyer, Carolyn. "Louis Braille School." Louis Braille Biography. Louis Braille School.                             

Web 03 May 2012. <http://louisbrailleschool.org/resources/louis-braille/>.

Morman, Edward T., and Morman Edward T. "Louis Braille." Great Lives From History: Inventors & Inventions (2008): 1. Biography Reference Center. Web. 1 May 2012.

"Introduction." Introduction. Web. 18 May 2012.            

http://www.afb.org/LouisBrailleMuseum/braillemediaviewer.asp?FrameID=173.

"Coupvray: Louis' Childhood Home." Coupvray: Louis' Childhood Home. Web. 18 May 2012.             .