Leslie Edward Claypool

by Jeff from Selden

Les Claypool with his Carl Thompson bass guitar

My definition of a hero is a person who you can ultimately look up to. My own personal hero is Les Claypool. Les exhibits great characteristics. He is talented, persevering and charismatic. He has reached his goals through years of hard work and practice. He is now one of the worlds best bassists.

Les Claypool had a mostly normal childhood. He was born Lesmond Claypool on September 29, 1963 in Richmond, California. His family soon relocated to El Sobrante, California, where he was raised. His family included a long line of auto mechanics. His early education consisted of 8 years at Collins elementary school and 4 years of De Anza high school. Les' parents divorced when he was a young age, but he doesn't recall it affecting him much emotionally. Les states that he had a decent childhood, citing that he was never abused or severely bullied.

Claypool's early bass career started in his teens, when he bought his first Carl Thompson bass. He started playing how everyone else starts playing, except he never had bass lessons. He was able to develop his trademark slap technique by listening to artists like Larry Graham and Stanley Clarke. After 1986, when Metallica bassist Cliff Burton died, Metallica held open auditions for a new bassist. Les tried out for Metallica, but did not get the job. Guitarist and lead vocalist for Metallica, James Hetfield apparently thought that Les was "too good or funky" to join a metal band.

After his being denied by Metallica, Claypool began to form his own bands. He began playing in the band Blind Illusion, with the future Primus guitarist Ler Lalonde. He soon dropped out of Blind Illusion to form Primate.Primate included Les Claypool, Todd Huth, and Jay Lane. The band soon changed names to Primus, after replacing Jay Lane with Brain and Todd Huth with Ler Lalonde. This band Primus was a great influence on the musicians of the world.

Les Claypool has a very determined outlook on his musical career. After Primus broke up in the year 2000, Les went on to form Oysterhead. Using Les' funky bass playing they were also very successful. Les is now on a solo project, called the Fancy Band. Les believes that no matter what happens, he will still be playing bass.

Les Claypool has left bassists many things to learn from. He was voted best bassist of all time by GuitarWorld magazine, as well as most unorthodox bassist of all time. His slap technique has left bassists something different to try and perfect. Les Claypool was, and still is, an amazing bassist and an amazing hero.