Lou Gehrig

by Alex from San Diego

Gehrig and his wife Eleanor (www.sportsonearth.com ())
In 1903 a hero and a legend was born. He played Major League Baseball for the New York Yankees and held the all time record of most consecutive games ever played. His name was Lou Gehrig or The Iron Horse. Lou Gehrig was an exceptional man who lived up to his dreams of playing baseball in the big leagues. Lou Gehrig grew up as an only child since his other siblings died extremely young. Gehrig and his parents grew up in poverty, but that didn't stop Lou. His parents were always supportive in whatever sport he played, whether it was baseball or football. Lou Gehrig's dad always took him to the gym so he could build up muscles for sports. When he was just 11 years old he swam across the Hudson River. To be a hero one must have determination, bravery, and a caring person. Lou Gehrig, an American baseball legend who holds the record for most consecutive games ever played. He was determined, brave, and caring about what he loved, baseball. Gehrig never wanted to miss a game because he never wanted to let his team down. He always wanted to bring them up.For someone to be persistent is a great thing and Gehrig deserves to be in a category of persistent people. He loved baseball and never felt a sense of quitting. Lou Gehrig was a man who was always focused on his goals. His mindset was always positive and he always knew what he had to do to reach his goals. "His streak of 2,130 games was a record that would stand for 56 years. He finished with 493 home runs, 535 doubles, 162 triples, a .340 batting average and 1,990 RBIs, third-highest among all major leaguers"(Lou Gehrig).Lou was persistent because he never missed a game in his whole career showing how determined he was to his passion. Lou was determined to always play baseball even when he was sick. Lou never wanted to let his team down. He wanted the best for the future of the New York Yankees. Even if it meant ending his streak. "Gehrig accumulated 493 home runs, had a lifetime batting average of .340 (only a few points behind the Babe) and batted in 175, 174, and 184 runs in the years between 1926 and 1930. To this day his 23 home runs with the bases loaded surpass all players in history. In a 1932 game against Philadelphia, he became the first player in the twentieth century to hit four home runs in one game." (Ray Robinson). Gehrig was very determined to try his best at any sport he played especially baseball and he always accomplished what he he was aiming for. Lou set many records as a Yankee and was very set forward on what he wanted to accomplish. Lou Gehrig showed persistence and determination towards the game he worked so hard to improve upon.
(spacecoastdaily.com ())
(spacecoastdaily.com ())

Lou was smart and brave to end something he worked so long to achieve.

Playing in so many consecutive games can be an accomplishment but he knew that it had to end one day. " He took himself out of the lineup, telling McCarthy it was "for the good of the team."(Lou Gehrig). Lou was brave enough to know his limits and when to stop playing before he collapsed on the field in front of thousands of fans. Lou was brave enough to play the game he loved while dealing with a life threatening illness: ALS. As Lou got even sicker his skill set started to fade away. "As his body wasted away, Gehrig's mind remained active and untouched by the disease. When friends came to visit, he rarely complained. A good deal of the time he listened to music and opera. On June 2, 1941, seventeen days before his 38th birthday, Lou Gehrig died in his sleep at home." (Ray Robinson). He died knowing he was surrounded by loving people who cared about him. Since he never complained that showed he always wanted people to be happy. Lou was very lucky for everything he accomplished and he had a lot of people to mourn him at his worst time. Lou was brave enough to let his life, his streak end because he knew the time had come and that his career was on a nonstop downfall. Gehrig's bravery let him quit while he was ahead.
Lou Gehrig was a caring person. Not only for the game he loved but for the people that supported his success. Gehrig had a lot of people who cared for his health and well being especially his wife, Eleanor Gehrig. "When you have a father and mother who work all their lives so that you can have an education and build your body, it's a blessing. When you have a wife who has been a tower of strength and shown more courage than you dreamed existed, that's the finest I know."(Lou Gehrig).  Lou is a caring soul who was thankful for everything anyone had ever done for him and he loved every person who encouraged him to be who he was. Gehrig was also married to Eleanor Gehrig. She supported Gehrig and all of his success and Eleanor was the biggest thing that he cared about. Gehrig wrote a letter to his wife telling her how big of an icon she was to him and how when he was off track she brought him back. "My sweetheart-and please grant that we may ever be such-for what the hell else matters-that thing yesterday I believe and hope was the turning point in my life for the future as far as taking life too seriously is concerned." (Ray Robinson).  Lou was caring and cared about his wife so much he wanted to shape her future so she had a smoother life when Gehrig wasn't around. Lou knew how much his wife cared about him and how much he loved her was indescribable. He also knew how much support he had from his family, friends, and fans. Lou always knew he surrounded by caring people and he knew how much he meant to them. Lou died a fortunate death. He died of Lou Gehrig's disease or ALS. He was 37 years old.Lou Gehrig knew that being a baseball legend wasn't the best way to live life. He knew he had to be persistent, brave, and caring to live the best life. To influence people to be more caring. The main idea of why and how Lou Gehrig is a hero is not only because he was a baseball legend but because he was brave enough to know when enough was enough. He didn't leave the team to show he was proving a point but because he was suffering from a life threatening illness that sent his career in the wrong path.The reason why Lou is an inspiration is because he always looked at the bright side of things and always believed as long as he did something great he would be supported by his friends, family, and fans. He is an inspiration to people because he believes in the better side of people and knows that people can change. Lou Gehrig is a hero to all of us because he shows more than just three criteria. He is a mixture of everything seen in a hero. From helping people to influencing a better life for younger generations.

"Gehrig, Heinrich Ludwig 'Lou' 1903-1941." American Decades. Ed. Judith S. Baughman, et al. Vol. 3: 1920-1929. Detroit: Gale, 2001. Gale VirtualReference Library. Web. 4 Feb. 2016

"Lou Gehrig." DISCovering Biography. Detroit: Gale, 2003. Student Resources in Context. Web. 4 Feb. 2016.

"Lou Gehrig." Encyclopedia of World Biography. Vol. 19. Detroit: Gale, 1999. Biography in Context. Web. 29 Jan. 2016

Robertson, Ray. "Lou Gehrig: Columbia Legend and American HeroBy Ray Robinson." Living Legacies. N.p., 2001. Web. 04 Feb. 2016.