Lil' Wayne

by Jake from Weyauwega

lil wayne age 28 (google images)
lil wayne age 28 (google images)

Lil Wayne New Orleans rapper was born Dwayne Carter in the neighborhood of Hollygrove on September 27, 1982. He grew up without a father but had many father figures. By age nine he had already been signed on to Cash Money Records. He left freestyle raps on the record companies’ answering machine. At age 13 he joined a rap group Hot Boys they were "Hot" by age fifteen. But at age 14 his music career got postponed. He found his mother's gun and accidentally shot himself, missing his heart by two inches. But, obviously he made a full recovery.

His first album, called "Get How You Live," was recorded with the members of Hot Boys. Then he went solo shortly after and recorded his first solo album "The Block Is Hot." It was a major success, selling over a million copies. He had the hit songs of The Block Is Hot, Loud Pipes, and High Beamin'. The album went platinum in 1999, the same year it was released. He was sure he was going to be one of the greatest rappers in the rap game.

Although Lil Wayne’s first album was a total success his next two albums weren't very successful with Lights Out and 500 Degreez only reaching Gold status. The Hot Boys released its last album in 2003, four years after the group broke up. The album was number 14 on the billboard top 200. It was only 2004 Lil Wayne was only 21 years old and he already released two successful CD's The Block is Hot and The Cater I. The Carter I sold 1.1 million copies which is a success. Lil Wayne was back on top of the world.

It looked as if Lil Wayne was going to take over the rap music game. He produced the hit song Go DJ that became a top 5 hit and Solider with T.I. which peaked at number 3 on the billboard 200. He also made an appearance in Bobby Valentino's song called Tell Me. Then he released the album Tha Carter Two. It sold two million copies worldwide which is twice as much he had ever had before. The lead single Fireman peaking at number 32 on the billboard hot 100. The album all together peaked at number two on the top 200 selling 238,000 copies in one week.

In 2005 he started his own record company Young Money Records, which he managed himself until later that year then he handed down the management to Cortez Bryant. He released a lot of mix tapes in 2006-2007. He made songs with T.I., Akon, Rick Ross, and DJ Khaled. Vibe magazine ranked all 77 of Lil Wayne’s songs. hey listed DJ Khaled's song We Takin Over as number of his best verse. On June 10, 2008 Lil Wayne released tha Carter III selling over one million copies in a single week the first to do this since 50 cent's The Massacre. It went double platinum. The single Lollipop shot the album all the way up to number one instantly. Lil Wayne showed up in just about every single music video. Lil Wayne was starting to become best rapper alive by being announced in the president’s speech and sweeping the Grammy awards. In 2009 he was second hottest rapper in the game behind Jay-Z. Lil Wayne released Re-Birth which had the hit single Drop the World Featuring Eminem. Lil Wayne is releasing Tha Carter four in the winter of 2011. He is officially on top of the rap music game.

available, not. "google images." [Online] Available http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&source=imghp&biw=1114&bih=453&q=lil+wayne&gbv=2&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=. 2011.

available, not . "wikipedia." [Online] Available http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lil_Wayne. 2011.

lil waynehq.com. "www.lilwaynehq.com." [Online] Available http://www.lilwaynehq.com/biography/.