Lisa Leslie

by Alexandra from Overland Park

Olympics Hero

Despite all of her awards and accomplishments, Lisa Leslie is still a large part of her community. She continues, to this day, to spend time and money on needy children and cancer research funds. She is a perfect example of someone who does not live for fame or fortune, who does not carelessly spend money on entertainment, or overly expensive clothes, or items just because she can. All in all, I think that she is the perfect role model for, well, just about any basketball-loving girl or boy and she will, hopefully, stay that way for years to come.

Great players are not born, they are made through a long road of self-determination and sacrifice and Lisa Leslie is a superb example of both. During her life, she has received and earned many awards and trophies for her basketball skills and for her work in the community. Some may look up to her for just that but she is my hero for many, many more reasons than just being a great basketball player.

Lisa Leslie was born on July 7, 1972, in Gardena, California. Lisa is, currently, 6’5”, and weighs 170 pounds. She is the center for the Los Angeles Sparks, and has jersey #9. Lisa lives in Hawthorne, CA, and has two sisters and four half-brothers. Leslie’s single mother, Christine Leslie-Espinoza, was a cross-country truck driver while raising her two daughters. Lisa was baby-sat by relatives during the year, and rode and slept in her mother’s rig during the summer. Though she was not always with her mother, Lisa stated in an interview that her mother “taught her to be confident and to hold her head up.”

Leslie at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens (http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040829/olympics/winners/pages/w5.htm)

Lisa went to Morningside High School in Inglewood, CA. When she was in middle school, she hated basketball but, after she tried out for the eighth grade basketball team, she changed her mind and started a daily workout regimen of shooting, pushups, sit-ups, and other basketball drills. She was on the varsity team for basketball, volleyball and track, while she was there, and was the class president for three years. During her senior year, her basketball team won the California State Title. Lisa played during the final game versus Berkeley High, despite having chicken pox, which would have benched most players. She, however, was determined to play for her team, no matter what condition she was in. Later that year, she went on to receive the Naismith and Dial awards. Also, during her senior year, she was named to the United States’ Junior World Championship Team.

Lisa Leslie dunking the basketball in 2002 (http://www.masbasket.com/imagen/<br>imagen-02/imagen-02-31/Lisa_Leslie_mate_G.jpg)
Lisa Leslie dunking the basketball in 2002 (http://www.masbasket.com/imagen/
imagen-02/imagen-02-31/Lisa_Leslie_mate_G.jpg)

After high school, Lisa attended the University of Southern California (USC). While she was there, she earned many prestigious awards including Female Athlete of the Year in 1993, National Freshman of the Year and 1994 National Player of the Year. Her team in college went on to make four NCAA championships, advanced to the Elite Eight in 1992 and 1994, and won one Pac-10 conference championship. She currently holds the record at USC for blocked shots, and holds records in points scored and rebounds. That is a big accomplishment for someone who claimed to hate basketball when she was a young girl!

The WMBA then signed Lisa to the Los Angeles Sparks on January 22, 1997. On July 30, 2002, in a game vs. Miami, Lisa became the first person ever to dunk in a WMBA game, bridging one of the many gaps between the playing style of the WMBA and the NBA.

In addition, Leslie earned many awards, which could make a person stuck-up and full of themselves, but they have not had much of an effect on her!

Leslie has also had opportunities to be a television star. She has guest-starred in several sitcoms, such as "Moesha" and "Sister, Sister" and was signed by the Wilhelmina Modeling Agency. She has been featured in "Vogue" several times, as a result. After Lisa’ mother developed breast cancer, Leslie became a spokeswoman for breast cancer awareness and prevention, traveling around the country to give talks on the subject.

In 1998, Lisa dedicated the Lisa Leslie Sports Complex at Morningside High, which included a 42,000 square foot court and 12 baskets. In 1999, she was awarded the “Young Heroes Award” from the Big Sisters Guild in Los Angeles for her work with foster children. Leslie also received the 2001 Sportswoman of the Year award in the team category from the Women’s Sports Foundation.

Lisa Leslie is a superb example of a person that adults and children can both look up to. Hopefully, she will stay that way and not become too caught up with fame and fortune for years to come!

WMBA's website - Biography and player status of Lisa Leslie

I myself am a tall basketball player and Lisa Leslie's story has greatly influenced the way that I view and play basketball. She is a tall player who I can look up to in a society where most women are short or medium-sized, and people stare, point, and comment about you. I hope that, in the years to come, tall women will be accepted by others in the same way that tall boys are and that they will not have the incredible urge to conform and play down their size in the way that some people have. Thanks, and please remember this in the future!