Abraham Lincoln

by Charles from Anchorage

(http://images.google.com/images?hl<br>=en&q=abraham%20lincoln&btnG=<br>Google+Search&safe=active&sa=N&tab=wi)
(http://images.google.com/images?hl
=en&q=abraham%20lincoln&btnG=
Google+Search&safe=active&sa=N&tab=wi)

Abraham Lincoln was born on Feb. 12, 1809 near Hodgenville, Kentucky. He was the son of Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln. When he was seven, his family moved to southern Indiana where he attended school with his older sister Sarah. In 1818 his mother, passed away from a milk sickness. She had obtained this disease from drinking the milk of a cow that grazed on poisonous white snakeroot. Abe's father remarried the next year to Sarah Bush Johnston Lincoln. Growing up, Abraham preferred learning over work in the fields. His father was just the opposite. This led to a difficult relationship.

Later on, Abe moved to New Salem. He lived there until 1837. While he lived there, he worked several jobs; operating a store, surveying, and serving as postmaster. Abe impressed the town with his character when he wrestled the town bully, Jack Armstrong. That is when he earned the name "Honest Abe". He ran for legislature in 1832, but it turned out unsuccessful. He ran again in 1834, 1836, 1838 and 1840 and won all four times. He also studied law and in his spare time and he became a lawyer in 1836.

In Springfield 1839, Abe met a woman named Mary Todd. Three years later they got married and had 4 children: Robert (1843-1926), Edward (1846-1850), William (1850-1862) and Thomas (1853-1871). In 1846 Abe ran for the U.S. House of Representatives and won. In Washington he became known for his opposition to the Mexican War and to slavery. He went back home after his term and resumed his law practice more seriously as ever. In the early 1850s, Abe's father died.

William Seward was the preconvention favorite for the Republican Presidential nomination. In 1860, Abe won on the third ballot. Lincoln was elected the sixteenth President of the United States of America on November 6, 1860.

President Lincoln and General Ulysses S. Grant were planning to attend Ford's Theatre's evening performance of Our American Cousin. The presidential Party arrived at the theatre around 8:30 P.M. The assassin, armed with a single shot Derringer and a hunting knife, arrived at about 9:30 P.M. At 10:15 the assassin opened the door to the state box in the theatre and shot Lincoln point-blank in the back of the head. The assassin then jumped 11 feet below to the stage. As he landed, he broke his fibula bone. The assassin escaped out the rear door and used his horse to get away. He then escaped from the city using the Navy Yard Bridge.

Abraham Lincoln - The White House. Gov