Poets

Maya Angelou

by Wiggles from Illinois

Maya Angelou has done some great things in her life. She is a American Poet, actress, and a memoirist. She was also an important figure in the American Civil Rights Movement, but enough about this - more about her life.

Marguerite Johnson a.k.a Maya Angelou was born on April 4, 1928, in St. Louis, Missouri. In 1931, when she was 3 years old, her parents got divorced and she and her brother moved away to live with their grandmother. While living with her grandmother she participated in many activities like dance.

At age eight Maya was sexually abused by her mother's boyfriend, and her uncles beat the man to death. Maya thought it was because of her confessing, that led to someone's death so for awhile Maya didn’t talk. Maya found a friend that helped her find her voice, but not until age 13.

But she also got her pride back and started to use her voice in a good way. Maya is famous for her poems but she also writes biographies, such as her own and other people's she has known.

Maya has done other things, like write autobiographies and more. For most of her books have had her nominated for prizes like Pulitzer Prize and more. She has also acted in movies like Diary of a Mad Black Women, and her legacy continues.