Martin Luther King Jr.

by Mallory from Carbondale

<a href=http://www.usps.com/images/stamps/99/martin_luther_king.jpg>Martin Luther King Jr. on a U.S. Postal Stamp </a>
Martin Luther King Jr. on a U.S. Postal Stamp

My hero is Martin Luther King Jr.
Martin Luther King Jr. was born in Atlanta, Georgia on January 15, 1929. Martin Luther King Jr. died in Memphis, Tennessee on April 4, 1968. He was assassinated by James Earl Ray on the balcony of the Lorraine Motel and now it is the national Civil Rights Museum. He had an older sister named Willie and a younger brother named Albert. At about age 24 he became the pastor of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama. Before that he was the co pastor at a younger age.

Martin Luther King Jr. helped the African Americans gain freedom from segregation. He also risked his life to help save the African Americans from getting treated unfairly. He helped the African Americans from stuff that was happening to them that was not right. He helped them to get treated the right way and not the wrong way. On August 28, 1963 Martin Luther King Jr. gave his “I Have a Dream Speech.” His speech was very inspiring to many people. So it was repeated many times by many different people. It also changed the way whites looked at blacks and blacks looked at whites.

I chose Martin Luther King Jr. because he helped everyone look at people in a different point of view. Also his speech stated his dreams for better attitudes and relationships between different people. He also was important to me because he allowed blacks and whites to become close friends. Martin Luther King Jr. made a difference in my life because if it weren’t for him we wouldn’t have some of the friends we have now because of segregation. He may have been killed for what he did and he may have known he was at risk but that didn’t stop his beliefs and so what everyone said did not change the way some people thought of African Americans.

Martin Luther King Jr. - Nobel Peace Prize