Marian Anderson

by Paige from Vermont

(http://www.cnycentral.com/uploadedImages/Shared/manderson.jpg)

My hero is Marian Anderson. Marian Anderson is a famous African American singer from between 1925-1965. The reason I choose her as my hero is because she never gave up, not ever, on her dreams of becoming a singer. I think it was good she never gave up on her singing dreams because. If she had she may have never gotten as far as she actually did. Also she is a hero because she's a good role model for people that have goals or dreams of things they want to achieve in their life.

Marian Anderson was born February 27, 1897 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. No one was surprised that she loved to sing. Her father sang in the morning, and her mother hummed. Also, sometimes in the afternoon, she and her sisters would sing together. Marian Anderson also sang in the church choir when she was a child. When Marian sang it was often with her eyes closed so that she could feel what she was singing. When Marian was 18, she went to a music school and she waited in line for an application. The girl behind the counter helped everyone except her until the girl said, “We don't take colored students.” Even though Marian couldn't go to music school she didn't stop singing or give up on her dreams.

Some people might say Marian Anderson is not a hero because all she did was sing. Marian ended up singing at the Lincoln Memorial several times, which was an honor. She sang at negro churches and colleges and went to different countries to learn the languages so she could learn to sing in those languages. That just proves that she never even thought about giving up on her dreams. That also proves she is a good role model for people who have a dream or something they want to accomplish.

My definition of a hero is a good role model; someone who never gives up and someone that is there for you. That is exactly who Marian Anderson was. She was there for her family when her father died. She is a good role model for someone who has a dream. Also she never gave up on her dreams. I think other people's lives could improve if they never gave up on their dreams like Marian Anderson did.