Michael Dell

by Christian from San Diego

(http://succeedfeed.com/50-michael-dell-quotes-that ())

All heroes don't have capes. All heroes don't have superpowers.   Some heroes are just like everyday people that someone looks up to, admires, and strives to be. A hero is defined as "a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities" (dictionary.com). A person might be a hero to someone else and not even know it for reasons only that person knows. Michael Dell is a 21st century hero an is an inspirational in all that he has achieved. Dell, the founder of Dell Computers, was born February 23, 1965 in Houston, Texas and is currently 52. He strongly showed the traits of a hero in his young life and now. Dell's creativity showed when he was able to think outside of the box and see new ways to do ordinary activities and how to do better.  Michael Dell is a hero because he is inspirational in the way he makes the industry better by seeing things others couldn't, is altruistic in how he puts others first and how he works for the needs of the customer and not for the needs of the business and because he started a billion dollar company with only $1,000.

Michael Dell is heroic in the creative in the way he was able to see that if you remove the middleman in the computer industry that  he can lower the prices and make more profit. Dell made observations based on his research about the computer industry:  "'I saw that you'd buy a PC for about $3,000, and inside that PC was about $600 worth of parts.." . He also said, "IBM would buy most of these parts from other companies, assemble them, and sell the computer to a dealer for $2,000. Then the dealer, who knew little to nothing about selling or supporting computers, would sell it for $3,000, which was even more outrageous'" (From the Archives:Michael Dell 4).  Dell saw how almost all the computers had an outrageous markup and the actual parts were pretty cheap. Dell would buy the parts and sell the computers directly to customers.  Dell saw this opportunity and jumped all over it and turned that into a billion dollar company.  Dell again could see things a lot of others couldn't:  "Dell saw that the quickest way to achieve both goals was to cut out the middleman. He realized that he could buy components and assemble the whole PC himself more cheaply. Then he could sell each machine over the phone directly to customers at a 15 percent discount to established brands" (Michael Dell 6).  Dell could be successful in anything he decided to go into. He found ways to sell more for less and to sell more just in general.  Michael Dell is a very inspirational person in the way that he could think outside the box and how he could realise new ways to accomplish doing a task.

(http://msdcapital.com/dell.htm ())
(http://msdcapital.com/dell.htm ())

Dell is altruistic and is only concerned with the well being and satisfaction of his customers. Dell sold everywhere and sold with the ease of the customer in mind: "In 1994, Dell became the first computer company to sell computers on the Internet. Over time, though, the company made the web site an effective extension of the direct-to-buyer, customized business strategy. By 2000, online sales accounted for eighteen million dollars in sales each day.  The company continued to grow, focusing on increasing sales through direct selling, lowering costs, and responding to market trends. When the company entered the new millennium, Dell aggressively cut costs and prices in order to gain market share. The strategy hurt competitors and boosted Dell's sales. By 2001, the company was the largest manufacturer of PCs in the world" (Anderson 10-11). Dell Is the most unselfish business man out there and knows how to make money while keeping the customer in mind. Dell saw that keeping the customer in mind was a good idea: "How did he do it? By keeping his mind firmly focused on doing business as opposed to making money" ("From the Archives: Michael Dell." 9). Dell computers continues to keep the customer in mind even if it means not making a huge profit or not making more money. Dell is very altruistic and keeps his customers first.

Michael Dell started with Dell with only $1,000 and worked for the customer not for his business.  Dell showed how he  focussed and committed to making the industry better: "Bypassing the middleman and the markups, Dell tapped his savings account for $1,000 and started building and selling computers for people he knew at college. His emphasis, however, wasn't just on good machines, but strong customer support and cheaper prices. Soon, he had accounts outside of school and it wasn't long before Dell dropped out and focused all his efforts on his business" (Biography.com 6).  Dell had roughly $1,000 left over from working previously and used that towards making his first computer.  He spent that money wisely and made amazing profit on the computers he was selling.  Dell is an salesman and knows how to run a business: "Dell started his company with $1,000 and the premise that he could beat his competitors by building computers to order and selling them directly to consumers. It was a simple, radical idea, and it shook the computer world to its foundation. Fourteen years later, Dell's direct model guides an estimated $18 billion global corporation" ("From the Archives: Michael Dell." 5).  Dell used his knowledge of computers and converted it into a business.  He used the money from making the computers and put that towards more computers.  Dell knows how to use his money wisely and how to save it. He is a great businessman and works for the good the customer.

(https://www.geekwire.com/2015/michael-dell-tells-s ())

Michael Dell is a 21st century hero and an inspiration to many both inside and out of the business world.. The fact that he started his company with only $1,000 dollars was very inspirational because he realized major money saving processes and worked for the customer and not just for the business.  Michael Dell is a genius of a man who was able to see how to make the most money in whatever job he in.  Michael Dell is inspirational in the way that he was able to overcome obstacles and overcome some of the biggest businesses. Dell was the first to do many things and the one that took risks instead of just coasting with the other businesses.  Not all heros look like the way people think they do. Heroes don't have to fly through the air or bend steel with their bear hands. Sometimes they can look at something in a way no one else ever has and create company that millions of people will be able to benefit from. Michael Dell is that kind of hero.

Work Cited

Anderson, Dale. "Michael Dell." Great Lives from History: Jewish Americans, July 2010, p. 69. EBSCOhost,search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=b6h&AN=55596572&site=brc-live.

Biography.com Editors. "Michael Dell." Biography.com, A&E Networks Television, 6 Feb.

2015, www.biography.com/people/michael-dell-9542199. Accessed 1 May 2017.

"From the Archives: Michael Dell." SUCCESS, 22 Sept. 2015, www.success.com/article/from-the-archives-michael-dell. Accessed 5 May 2017.

"Michael Dell." Entrepreneur, 8 Oct. 2008, www.entrepreneur.com/article/197566. Accessed 4 May 2017.

"Michael DELL." Wealth-X, 30 Sept. 2015, www.wealthx.com/articles/2015/michael-dell/. Accessed 5 May 2017.