Health

Michael J. Fox

by Jordyn from Roseville

Michael J. Fox is a celebrity hero. He isn't just a hero on screen. Although he is an actor, he takes action off screen to help find a cure for Parkinson's Disease. As he makes a fight to help other people fight Parkinson's, he makes a fight for his own struggle with Parkinson's. He is not just an actor in Hollywood; Micheal J. Fox is a hero.

685 Ã- 385 - chud.com

Michael was born on June 9, 1961. He grew up all over Canada, moving from city to city because of his fathers job. When Michael was 15 years old, he starred in the hit Canadian television series " Leo and Me." At age 18, he moved to L.A. to pursue his acting career. Six years later he starred in Back to the Future as Marty McFly, a teenage boy who is accidentally sent back in time.  Later on in his career. Michael played various other roles in movies such as Light of Day in 1987, and Bright Lights, Big City in 1988.  He starred in many other shows and movies that led up to Back to the Future II and Back to the Future III.  In 1990, after the 3rd Back to the Future movie was sent into theaters, Michael's father died of a heart attack. A few months later Michael was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease (a progressive disease of the nervous system marked by tremor, muscular rigity, and slow imprecise movements that also causes your nervous system to break down slowly). 

Michael J. Fox stayed secret with his condition until the year of 1998 when he decided to help others with the same disease.  He finally realized that after years of brain surgery and struggling that it was time to help others.  When Michael J. Fox launched The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson's Research in 2000, they started to raise money for the awareness of Parkinson's Disease.   Shortly after he launched his foundation he retired from his role in Spin City.  Years after he retired, New York Times called the Michael J. Fox Foundation "the most credible voice on Parkinson's research in the world."  By 2004, the foundation had raised over $70 million dollars to help find a cure.  Also, 200 Parkinson's Disease research projects had been launched in 18 countries.

blog.ticketbud.com

After Michael J. Fox had raised a fortune in 2004, he announced that he was returning to full time acting along side his work with the foundation in 2012.  Instead of being ashamed of his disease, he joked about it and even turned it into a sitcom called The Micheal J. Fox Show.  The sitcom was about an actor in show business that develops Parkinson's at an early age.  His seemingly lifelike character overcomes obstacles in his life, challenges that Michael himself had to overcome.  The things that he learned about having Parkinson's Disease were expressed as life lessons on the show.  One of the things that fox learned was: "Parkinson's has made me a better person -a better husband, father and overall human being."-And he was right.

Although the Michael J. Fox Foundation has not yet found a cure, research projects are starting all over the world to help and the foundation's research is also still growing.  Michale J. Fox promises a cure is on the way.  People know Michael as an actor. But he is a hero...a real hero.

www.Wikipedia.com - Wkipedia has a biography on Michael J. Fox
www.CNN.com - CNN has facts such as his birthday and other facts

Born on June 9, 1961. Lived in Canada for almost his whole childhood. He married Tracy Pollan on July 16, 1988. He has 4 children and lives in LA. He is also a well known author.