Marc Garneau

by Duncan from Calgary

A web of Marc Garneau (I made it.)
A web of Marc Garneau (I made it.)

Many kids want to be famous and rich when they grow up. Some kids want to be a hero when they grow up. I want to be a hero like Marc Garneau. He was the first Canadian in space. Marc Garneau was born on February 23, 1949, in Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. He went to school in Quebec City and later, in London, England. He received an engineering physics degree in 1970 at Royal Military College of Canada, and later received his Doctorate Degree from Imperial College of London in 1973. He then joined the Canadian Navy and became an engineer on the HMCS Algonquin. In 1982 he was promoted to Commander.

A portrait of Marc Garneau (I drew it)
A portrait of Marc Garneau (I drew it)

In 1984 Marc Garneau was chosen out of over 4000 other applicants to become one of the six people to join the Canadian Astronaut Program. He flew on a space shuttle Challenger as a payload specialist on October 5 to 13 in 1984. He was promoted to Captain in 1986 and left the navy in 1989. After more training in 1992/93 he became a Mission Specialist. He worked as a CAPCOM (Capsule Communicator) for several Missions. His last two flights were both on the shuttle Endeavour, first from May 19 to 29, 1996, then bringing supplies to the International Space Station from November 30 to December 11, 2000. Marc Garneau has logged almost 678 hours in space and is now has retired as an astronaut.

A picture of all Marc Garneau's Mission Insegnea's (From Wikipedia)

In February 2001, Marc Garneau became the Executive Vice President of Canadian Space Agency. In November that same year, he became President of the Canadian Space Agency. Then, in the August of 2003, Marc Garneau was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, Canada’s highest civilian honor. He was also honored by having Marc Garneau Collegiate Institute in Toronto and E.S.P Marc Garneau in Trenton Ontario named after him. He is also the Honorary Captain of the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets, as well as having the 599 Royal Canadian Air Cadet Squadron named after him.

A drawing of the shuttle 'Challenger' (I Drew it)

After he retired from the Space Program, he became a politician for the Liberal party. He first ran for the Liberal party of Canada in 2006 as a star candidate. He lost the first round due to a Sponsorship scandal. The sponsorship scandal dragged down most of the Liberal Candidates in Quebec. Later that year, he lost to the Conservative party by 9,200 votes. He remained in politics, supporting Michael Igatieff to lead the Liberal Party He hoped to be the Liberal candidacy for the Outremont by-election in September 2007, but withdrew when he found out from Stéphane Dion that that riding was reserved for another Candidate. He persisted though, and finally won the Westmount-Ville Marie riding by over 9000 votes in the 2008 federal election.

Marc Garneau was the first Canadian in space, and the first Canadian to return to space. He has been honored with the Order of Canada, and has had two schools named after him. He is continuing his legacy in the field of Federal Politics, and how far he will go in that aspect is uncertain. I all hope you liked my presentation on Marc Garneau.

Nasa Biography - Nasa's Biography of Marc Garneau
Wikipedia - A Wikipedia biography about Marc Garneau
Canadian Astronauts - A Biography about Marc Garneau
Marc Garneau - A website about Marc Garneau and the Libreal Party of Canada
Space Explorers - A Biography by www.space-explorers.org

Hnatyshyn, Ray. "Marc Garneau - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia." Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 11 Feb. 2009 . " MARC GARNEAU - Westmount--Ville-Marie." MARC GARNEAU - Westmount--Ville-Marie. 24 Feb. 2009 . "Marc Garneau." Association of Space Explorers. 24 Feb. 2009 . "Marc Garneau." Big Sky Astronomical Society. 24 Feb. 2009 . Nasa, Nasa. "Astronaut Bio: M. Garneau 6/04." NASA Johnson Space Center, Houston, Texas. 11 Feb. 2009 . Created at www.bibme.org