Miep Gies

by Kristina from San Diego

(http://www.annefrankguide.net/en-US/bronnenbank.asp?oid=15919)

"I was able to help those people. They were powerless, and they didn’t know where to turn. I always emphasize that we weren’t heroes. We simply did our duty as human beings: helping others who were in need. A lot of people didn’t do that in those times: some out of fear. If someone is afraid then you can hardly blame them. If they can honestly admit that, as a friend of mine did back then, then I think that’s brave." ~ Miep Gies
Over 6 million Jews and 5 million non-Aryans died during the holocaust; innocent lives lost during World War 2. The holocaust was a dark time, with innocent people dying on the streets due to starvation and disease. These people were the lucky ones; the strong were sent to labor camp and the women, children, and the weak were sent to death camps. This time period is an example of ruthless war leaders showing no mercy, and how Miep Gies took a chance in helping others; her selflessness and determination became a worldwide inspiration to others which made her an amazing modern day hero..

Miep Gies was born February 19, 1909 in Austria. She was then adopted by a couple in Vienna to avoid starvation in Austria. In 1933 Miep Gies met Otto Frank, where she applied for a post temporary secretary for the company, Opekta; a company that makes jams. She ran the information desk and eventually got promoted to a general administration role. She became a friend of the Franks, as did her husband Jan Gies who she married in 1941. As the Jewish persecutions became more serious, Otto Frank asked Miep and her husband to hide them in an unused room hidden by a bookcase. And of course she answered yes. The Franks and another family lived there for 16 months. Miep Gies supported the Franks with emotional support and supplies. Her dedication and self sacrifice for a family is inspiring around the world, telling her audience that without young heroes the world will be filled with scorn.

Miep Gies had her doubts, with people telling her she was wrong and Nazis on her doorstep, but she never backed down from such a crucial challenge which would mean that if she was caught that meant immediate death; her selfless actions helped her escape death but took her freedom. Her helping the Franks meant sacrificing time and her well-being to help those in need. On the morning of August 5, 1944 the Nazis came and invaded the building. Miep Gies made an attempt to bribe the Nazis in sparing the lives of the Franks and taking hers instead. They were all prosecuted and put in concentration camps. The family was split up; Anne and Margaret were sent to Bergen Belsen where Anne Frank died two weeks before the camp was liberated.(Anne Commire) After World War II Miep Gies came back to the old company where she worked for Otto Frank and recovered the old journals each family member had left behind. These journals were enriched with memories that represented the hardships of the Frank family. (Daily Post) Miep Gies was the last remaining link to the child hero, Anne Frank. Her gift to the Frank family was the publication of Anne Frank’s journal. Miep Gies’ gift to the world was Anne Frank’s journal; the contribution that she made still educates young teens about the hardships of the Holocaust. She continues to inspire the world with her words of wisdom.

After her release from the concentration camps, Miep Gies found herself wandering back to the abandoned factory, salvaging the last of the useful resources. There she came across the journal; with the help of Otto Frank they published it into a book which came to sell millions of copies. (Daily Post) Miep Gies continued to show her genuine heart when she pushed herself into finding publication of Anne’s journal. “For her courage, Miep Gies was bestowed with the Righteous Gentile title by the Israeli Holocaust Museum, Yad Vashem. She was also honored by the German Government, Dutch Monarchy, and education institutions. She was also the second honorary American citizen.” (America's Intelligence) This award is physical evidence that describes Miep Gies as a truly remarkable person. Her immortal words of wisdom still inspire young teens to do the right thing; and that something small can make you a hero.

Miep Gies is a selfless and giving humanitarian who spread her universal message with her tragic stories of hard times. She helps others realize that one must believe in one's self to conquer fear and evil. Miep Gies inspires me because her kindness and selflessness encourages me to be a better person; her actions absolutely shock me how an ordinary secretary can become a historical role model for women by doing a deed that a country is against. Although Miep Gies passed away two years ago, the world will never forget the day she took a chance.

Works Cited Miep Gies, who helped hide Anne Frank, dies at 100." America's Intelligence Wire 12 Jan. 2010. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 24 Mar. 2011.

Miep Gies." U*X*L Biographies. Detroit: U*X*L, 2003. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 28 Mar. 2011

Miep Gies, who helped hide Anne Frank, dies at 100." America's Intelligence Wire 12 Jan. 2010. General Reference Center Gold. Web. 24 Mar. 2011. Miep Gies." U*X*L Biographies. Detroit: U*X*L, 2003. Gale Student Resources In Context. Web. 28 Mar. 2011.

OBITUARY; Miep Gies." Daily Post [Liverpool, England] 13 Jan. 2010: 9. Global Issues In Context. Web. 24 Mar. 2011

The New York Times
Miep Gies - The Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/6973512/Miep-Gies.html