Marvin Hagler

by Brennen from San Diego

The person that deserves the right to be called my hero is the Marvelous Marvin Hagler. He is in the Hall of Fame of boxing. My dream is to become a professional boxer and he inspires me to pursue that dream. Marvin Hagler never gave up on boxing no matter what happened or what people told him. He stayed confident and determined in every matchup, and never doubted himself for a second. Marvin Hagler through his dedication, strong will, and determination inspires me to pursue my dream of becoming a professional boxer.

Marvelous Marvin Hagler is a retired American professional boxer who was an Undisputed World Middleweight Champion from 1980 to 1987. He was known as one of the best boxers during his time along with Sugar Ray Leonard, Thomas "The Hitman" Hearns, and Roberto Duran. Marvin Hagler was determined to win against these Hall of Famers. "Wins in highly publicized bouts against fellow Hall of Famers Roberto Duran and Thomas Hearns" ("Marvelous Marvin Hagler"), Hagler's determination was never compromised even when put up against two of the best boxers. For Hagler to beat these two pro Hall of Famers he had to have strong dedication which is what he was known for. His dedication and hard work led to his accomplishment of earning the title Undisputed World Middleweight Champion. "Hagler was the blue collar champion who earned everything he ever received" ("Marvelous Marvin Hagler"). Nothing was ever given to Hagler, he always strived and went the extra mile to earn it. His dedication is only one of the reasons why he's my hero.

Another reason why Marvin Hagler is my hero is his strong will. Whatever he set his mind to; he would go any distance to achieve it. His strong will is one of his assets that push him to his goal. A good example of his strong will to win is his last fight with former Middleweight Champion Sugar Ray Leonard. "As it turned out, Leonard started the fight quickly and Hagler came on strong later" ("Marvelous Marvin Hagler"). When starting off on a bad foot Hagler's will to win becomes stronger and he pushes on. His will is a rare aid that not many people have. Another good example of his strong will is his first two losses that motivated him to push forward. " . Hagler experienced his first loss of his career, failing to earn the decision in a 10-round bout with Bobby 'Boogaloo' Watts. He lost a second time two fights later, again by decision after 10 rounds, to Willie 'The Worm' Monroe. Hagler later avenged both losses by beating Monroe twice in 1977 and knocking out Watts in two rounds in 1980" ("Marvin Hagler"). After losing two fights Hagler's dedication grew stronger and when the rematches occurred his will to push on was stronger than ever before. He never had one thought about losing the rematches. His strong will is a good benefit to have contributing to his boxing career.

Marvin Hagler is a boxer that made his dreams possible through these three valuable traits. Through doubts of the people and a few losses, his dedication propelled upwards to prove those people wrong and avenge his losses. Marvin Haglers dedication, and strong will inspired me to chase after my dream and to never give up on it.