Marcus Heilbroner

by Marie Fairchild from Pickerington

Hero - Someone who looks past the obstacles and helps the world in a life changing way.

Having a hero is so important. Without a hero there's no one there to guide you or show you which path you should take. If I didn't have my parents, music, books, movies, and friends I don't think heroes would exist. These things have influenced how I live, think, and the decisions I make everyday. If I didn't have my heroes, I wouldn't be me.

The character in the novel that portrays a hero is Marcus Heilbroner. Marcus shows courage and mental strength in this story. "I am coming to save your friends life and my own", Marcus writes this to Miranda and is very courageous in doing this (60). Marcus even explains to Miranda that his goal is to save Sal before himself (160). He knows that he can accomplish and save Sal even though he leaves his wife Julia in the process (195). He risks his own beloved wife to save the life of a person he is only just met.

Marcus Heilbroner is a Hero. He was trying to save not only his life but also Sal's life. He had so much courage writing Miranda the letters from the future. Marcus knew Sal was going to die because he saw it, so he made a time machine. He came back as an old man and saved Sal even though he was unable to save himself. He gave his life for someone else, and knew that he could die in the process but still went through with it.

1. Who is your hero? Marcus: My hero is Albert Einstein Because he went beyond what normal people thought. He learned to remove the veil that distracts all of us from the plain truth. 2. What do you think really defines a hero? Marcus:I think a hero is someone is there for you even if you make mistakes. They will be there to help you remember and understand. 3. Would you say that The book " A Wrinkle in Time" inspired your time machine? Marcus: Yes, that book was the one role model that even gave me the thought it was possible. It influenced every side of the idea 4.Would you say you are a hero for saving Sal and dieing for it. Marcus: I don't mean to be modest but I would hope I'd be remembered as a hero for what I sacrificed. 5. Do you think ordinary people can be heroes? Marcus: Yes, I believe it's possible I was ordinary and became a hero. 6. What do you do in your free time? Marcus: I usually am reading or studying math. 7. Do you get along with your brother? Marcus: No, we usually are on bad terms with one another. 8. How is your life at home? Marcus: My family has been through a lot and we are not the richest of families but we get by. 9. How would you describe Miranda? Marcus: I would describe her as a risk taking person that trusts herself to make the smartest decisions. 10. Are you happy you saved Sal even though you were unable to save yourself? Marcus: I don't regret anything I was an old man at that point we both still had our lives ahead of us.

Time Travel - This relates to Marcus because he is always questioning Miranda about time travel and eventually creates it.

Marcus Heilbroner is my Hero. The book I read was When You Reach Me by, Rebecca Stead. In this book Marcus sacrificed his life and used his knowledge to build a revolutionary time machine.